Kandy


Advertisement
Sri Lanka's flag
Asia » Sri Lanka » Central Province » Kandy
December 25th 2007
Published: December 25th 2007
Edit Blog Post

MERRY CHRISTMAS. Hey everyone, well we reached kandy yesterday, which bizarrely reminds me of wales due to the hilly landscape. We paid the equivalent of 90p to travel for 5 hours on the bus, puts our transport system to shame, everyone was very helpful and friendly and made sure that we got on the right bus. The scenery was fantasticand would definately recommend it even if we were covered with dust by the time we arrived. We had to haggle like mad for a tuk tuk, they are notorious here for inflated costs for tourists but managed to get one for 150 ruppees about 70p, to get us to the guesthouse. We are staying at a place run by a german and sri lankan family, and its lovely and clean and airy. Its on the top of a hill though so everytime we come back we do our excercise for the day.last night we visited a restaurant called devon place and dined on devilled chicken (i'm addicted). Yummy. We then found 'The Pub' eventually after walking up and down the same stretch of road a million times, must remember to look up next time 😊 We sat on the balcony looking over the street and people watched, lovely place to sit if a bit expensive. Today we've been to the Temple of the Sacred tooth, where the eye tooth of Buddha is kept, which was retrieved from his cremation. The building was beautiful although much had to be restored after a bomb attack many years ago. its well worth a visit, there is also a museum there which was quite interesting. we are going to enjoy some traditional kandian dancing tonight and tomorrow are tackling the three temples, before having a relaxing day on wednesday at the botanic gardens. We are then planning to move into the country. Kandy is a good city, if a little scary at night. There is huge man made lake in the middle, with an island on it which once housed the kings hareem, its nice to walk around. We also visited the market today, lovely spice shops and friut stalls, one of the spice shop owners gave us tea and we took a photo which we have to send to him with a postcard from wales 😊 he had a book full of different postcards and seemed very proudof them. Still had to haggle like mad for our curry powder though😊 much cheaper than if you go to a touristy market.
Anyway, hope everyone is good and enjoying the holidays.

Gem + Eve

Advertisement



25th December 2007

thanks for the update, don't watch too much ken dodd its bad for your health :) hope you guys had a fab christmas day. we just went to watch kandyan dancing lots of yummy men with drums, what more can you ask for on christmas day he he! keep well and keep us posted love gem and eve x

Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.022s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0386s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb