Heathrow - Colombo


Advertisement
Sri Lanka's flag
Asia » Sri Lanka » Central Province » Dambulla
September 25th 2018
Published: September 25th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

LHR - CMB


Ducks AWAY!


After a week of desk work finalising the trip we made it to Heathrow for our first flight!

We were pleasantly sent off by Sophie’s Mum and Dad, and Matt’s mum, step dad and Auntie.



Our flight was due for departure at 2130hrs, with that in mind at 2045hrs we went for a coffee.



2100 approaches.... FINAL CALL FOR SRI LANKA - FLIGHT CLOSING



We charge off, Sophie knocking coffee all over Matt.... which was so kind.



Straight to the desk, last people to check in. As we enter they call our seat, straight on the plane, no messing.



We were sat next to one another by the window, with a selection of movies in the head rests.



Flight delayed... 2230hrs take off



Arrive at Colomobo 1245hrs the next day. Pretty worn out by this point just wanting to check in and relax. Change up some money and head over to the taxi rank to haggle a decent price for the cab.

The cab driver pulls up, a man pops up and grabs our suitcases - the driver, or so we thought.... next thing we knew the driver appears and the kind gentleman placing our bags in the back of the cab demands money. Fleeced immediately....

Matt was impressed and rewarded the man £2 (which equates to a weeks food in Sri Lanka!!)

We then drove from Colombo to Dambulla. This in itself was an existential experience and totally foreign to the Westerner. The road was predominantly single carriage, but the locals have developed a greater meaning to the word 'single' in this case meaning how many buses, dogs, tuk tuks, bicycles and motorbikes can you fit on the road side by side, at which ever speed you choose. This lasts 3 hours, with us arriving to the hotel in a monsoon.



New Peacock Resort

Our choice of stay for two nights is at the New Peacock Resort in Dambulla. The room we had was decked out with all the mod cons, A/C, Wifi and an extension lead hanging on a coat hook under the TV! The place was perfect other than the lack of kettle and hairdryer. However on arrival the staff said if we needed boiling water they can bring thermos flasks. The resort ranks 9.3 on the Richter scale, and we were reassured by the companions in our room (namely Frog, Lizard, flying ants, mosquitoes etc) that this was justified.

The staff are very friendly and outgoing. We felt a bit isolated at first but reassured by one of the hotel workers who asked if we were interested in any excursions. With that we arranged our next two days of sightseeing with him which hardly cost us a thing.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.096s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0432s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb