Letters from Korea


Advertisement
South Korea's flag
Asia » South Korea » Seoul
February 10th 2008
Published: May 31st 2010
Edit Blog Post

January 1 2008 - Where r u?

hey!

i've only just gotten internet on my laptop ok.. it's been a whirlwind ride til right now.. well still until a couple of days and i'm settled in.

hope you guys had a good night!!
happy new year!

p.s. i hope it was a lychee martini

krystal

p.s. i've already emailed big sister but if you let mom/dad know im ok that would be fine too



January 1 2008 - hi mom!

hi mom!!

ok so i've already emailed sister and brother, and i've arrived in korea, yesterday now, but i'm fine, everything's fine, i'm eating well.. the food's ok. they've actually moved a bunch of us to seoul so we're leaving tomorrow. we're just going to another campus. it's been a lot of training, and the canadian girls and i went to seoul today to check it out. it was interesting.

anyways, i'll let you know more about what's going on when more goes on, but really, korea is very very safe so you shouldn't worry ok?

love you!
hope everything's well!
p.s. can you ask dad if he mailed that letter i had left on the front table please?

thanks!
krystal



January 1 2008

hiiiiiiiiiiii

ok so i'm here!!!
it's sooooooo cold.. well.. i mean, its colder thanit was back home. it's different, but the same too? i don't know. it would be good for you if you did this, i mean as teacher's prep.. we start teaching soon. exciting... happy new year!! i was asleep for the new year korea time, but it was 2pm here for canada korean time and we did some cheersing.

send me updates on life? though i dont know how much time i'll actually have for playing around on the net.... such a change!

love you!!
krystal



January 1 2008 - Holla

hi!!


ok so i've arrived.. yesterday morning really, but it took a while for them to give me an internet cable, plus i've been away from computers cuz we checked out seoul today and yesterday there really was no time. it's soooo cold here, but the other teachers are quite cool, i already feel like i know a lot of them, just from the travel together and everything! i'm actually not staying here at yongin city, they're splitting us up and i get to go live in seoul for the month! coolness but i have no idea what to expect. and i start teaching soon! c'est excitant!

j'taime beaucoup, send me lots of updates!!
give kisses to your family for me, i love them!

krystal



January 2 2008 - Re: hi

MOM MAIL MY THAILAND DEPOSIT!
i'm lucky i picked up wireless internet in my hotel room!! i'll try and email as often as possible, but we are quite busy, mind you now that i'm finally settled in, maybe i'll have a little more time. hmm i have yet to try the korea tv..!
i have to do some lesson planning for the icebreakers tomorrrow... we'll see how that goes.
i dont think i have much otherwise to tell.. i'm having fun being all adventurous, and the camp is really well structured so i'm not worried or anything. really. well i'll see how tomorrow goes.

love you!
bisous a tout le monde
krys



January 2 2008

hey!

so i was kind of working on lesson planning. i have a beginner-ish class.. they're 9-10-11 years old mainly. the camp i was at in the mountains, the focus was on teaching english, we get to this camp, and the focus is on having fun with/in english.. so my strategy is changing a bit. i mean.. i suppose i can be good at that too. for now i have to figure out some icebreakers to play.. pretty much all day. i mean, i'll start the day (its the first day) with everyone meeting each other and stuff, so we'll make name tags and introduce ourselves. it's gonna be a lil tough, but luckily i have my tesl books from my tesl course. the rest of the week i actually have student workbooks to work with.. its quite organized in that respect, although on communication it's a little lacking. it'll be fine though i'm sure. i'm so excited i caught some wireless in my hotel room, i'm sitting here on the floor on one of these cool oriental pillows just typing away. korean food is ok.. i mean.. i feel bad saying this, but its not japanese food. i mean, you can only eat kimchi so many days in a row, and spicy boiled vegetables and meats start to get old really fast. i'm hoping to discover some other foods.. soon. i'm really sleepy i'm gonna figure out the rest of these icebreakers and talk to you later!

xoxo
krys



January 3 2008

hi!!

things are cool over here, i like the exoticness of being in asia! i'm having fun, it's fun, the people are all really cool. i get back the 28th or 29th i think? it's going well. teaching is hard though, lots of work going into it, probably not for me, but travel + teach is cool enough and for me. :D

nice to hear from you! i hope everything's cool over there and you had a merry christmas and also a good new year!!

xoox
krystal



January 3 2008 - Re: News from Krystal

Mom!
i accidentally forgot all of the stuff you gave me in a bag on my night table. but i do remember the gist of the bingo game. i'm actually planning a yoga lesson right now.. i will be teaching yoga to all the kids at the camp on a rotating basis (the teachers each have one activity they do and go to a different class every day to teach it, mine is yoga😊

love ya
krystal



January 4 2008 - Re:hi

hey!

ok, update.

i am currently sitting in the staff room at the H University of Foreign Studies in Seoul. I m wearing yoga clothes because i taught a group of kids yoga today. in fact, i will be teaching a group of kids yoga every day. It's actually a lot of fun - that part of the day. I had it planned out pretty much in depth, it was great. The rest of the day, with the lessons, and the reading and the getting the kids to talk in English, getting the kids to understand me, understanding the kids.. ah.. not so much. But it'll get better I'm sure.

Last night all the TAs and the teachers went out for dinner courtesy of our employer Mr Shien, who does not speak english. We went to a chinese restaurant, which was fiiine with me, because I think I'm about done with the boiled vegetables/meats. For some reason, even though I don't really like it, I've developed a taste for kimchi and a taste for spicy food. I don't know why, but I will sit there and grab jalepeno slices with my chopsticks and put them in my mouth. And chew. and swallow. and take another. I really don't know why.

I live in a hotel, they clean my room everyday, make my bed, though I already keep it tidy. The floors are heated, it's awesome. The metal seats are also heated on the subway! The other teachers and I work pretty hard. Lesson planning.. is essential if you don't want to look like a doof in your class. This morning, my students basically did everything I had planned to do for the day with them - in the first hour. I was not impressed because I pretty much had to wing it. Their vocab is good, they can read, they can write, they even comprehend, but their speaking is lacking and it's difficult to get them to really understand the work they're doing. They do it in an almost mechanical way. It's how they're brought up I suppose.

I haven't even tried the tv that's in my room yet. It's there, apparently it has some english tv, but really, i'm all about capturing the magical 2 hours of internet i somehow catch and then fail to recapture again until the next day. bathing, and sleeping also. i'm sleeping rather well too! oh yeah, did i mention they are taking care of our laundry too? the PAs (physical assistants - labour) actually take it to the cleaners for us, where they wash and fold! oh man luxury.

it's cold, but i think its warmed to about 0 degrees. Heard it was freezing back home, not missing that. otherwise i don't really miss anything as i haven't even really had time to be bored at all since i got here. I've just been really busy. There isn't really much else to tell, besides that the other night my two fellow young canadian teachers and i went out for dinner - oh yeah we have a dinner allowance - got to explore a typical alley to find a restaurant. don't freak out mom, not a back alley, an alley that people use and that has storefronts - the type you imagine in the movies. then i was satisfied because it didn't feel like i was walking around toronto's chinatown with slightly different characters. It was like.. what asia should be like, not western at all. it was cool, there was seafood all over the place. oh yes, i'm really tired of the fishy taste of stuff. i tasted dried squid.. and as cool as it sounds, it wasn't that awesome. my friend ordered that as his dinner meal. ugh. but the beer is good.

kay i'd like to go home and rest now.
good night! have a good day!
krystal



January 5 2008 - day: i dunno but i think i've been here a week

hey!

so today is my.. third..? day teaching, i think.. yes, it's the third day that i've been doing actual teaching. yesterday it went really well, today it's going really well. i have to say day 1 was a big ohmygod what am i doing, but i get how to do things and i am teaching these kids something!

i go over reading a lot with them, first i read, then they repeat after me, then they read (out loud). also by awarding them with points threatening to subtract points, i can actually control them really well 😊 i have twelve students ranging in age from 10 to 12, and i also have a TA in my class with me, she's really sweet, she makes photocopies for me, or gets supplies for me or translates, she also plays with the kids outside after they've finished lunch so that i can go hang out in the staff room. i'm going to go shopping with her sometime, she has good style.

my yoga lesson gets an awesome response from the classes! they love it apparently. all the kids have to write a daily journal and the teacher who's class i taught yoga yesterday read me some of them that were talking about the yoga lesson. they retained a lot of the stuff i taught them, and at least the girls thought it was really good. also they think i'm pretty and i also apparently look like a korean entertainer.. or something. i'm not too clear on that, my own students haven't mentioned it. i'm really proud that the yoga does so well since i am teaching all of the kids in the camp the yoga and my own class last. it's the most in-depthly planned part of my day. i kind of wing it a bit, i'm still testing out the waters to gauge what level of english these kids have.

did i mention we have a ton of snacks in the staffroom? snickers bars, and coffee, and breakfast sandwiches, fruit, bread, water, and then whatever snack the kids get at snacktime.

it's really really tiring, so much so that when i get to my room at night i'm just happy to rest. it's fun though, i like the whole experience.

class is starting, have to go!
love
krystal



January 6 2008 - Re: day: i dunno but i think i've been here a week

hey!

thanks! i like getting your updates too! it's nice that everything seems alright at home and that dad is on my side for my trip to thailand.. yaaaay! also, yeah i'm doing really well here, and obviously i will come home. you know i haven't had time to crack open my lsat books.. which is slightly worrying, just because, it is something i need to do. i would have preferred to apply to law school after 2-3 years of travel/etc.. that was originally the plan, but we know that changed in the summer.. its okay though. this way i get to go to thailand.

yes, it is nice that they do our laundry and fold it, i guess we really dont have that much time to do it, nor do we have the facilities. although even though someones comes and cleans my room for me, i keep it tidy.. at least its tidy right now, i don't know about later.

i think this experience is really good, and its not as overwhelming as it could be, because although i'm living here, i'm only here for a month, so i can think of it as only a trip. but i'm really positive about it, if you were to ask me for negative things, i really wouldn't know how to answer you, because even little things that might be negative, really aren't a big deal to me, it's overwhelmingly positive. i'm doing great things, i'm making a difference in these little kids lives everyday, helping them have fun, but giving them language tools they can use later on in life. i'm hardcore on the reading and writing. i'm surprised i've gotten the hang of it so quickly, since only two days ago i was like "uhh.. umm.. ok.. uh.. can you open your books..?" now its just "open your books. page 11!"

i played duck duck goose with them at lunch. i think they liked it, mind you they weren't really saying duck as much as "tuh" .. small battles. the people here are great, they are very helpful and i don't have anything bad to say about them. it takes 15 minutes to take the bus to the school from the hotel. one of the other teachers missed the hotel stop the other day on his way back from school.. he ended up lost for 3 hours. feel sooo bad for him.

i dont get magical internet in my room anymore.. i dont know why! its frustrating, but maybe i'll have it tonight. k i gotta go get changed for yoga.. different kids, different experience eek!

love
krystal



January 6 2008 - Re: day: i dunno but i think i've been here a week

yes mom, please mail it! it's a trip i want to go on. plus i have already paid the deposit and made the first payment, that is payment number 3!!!
maybe i'll teach abroad some more, maybe in costa rica when i go visit frederique in april/may.
love you mom

krystal



January 10 2008 - Re: update from krystal

hey!

so since my last email, i've found many many good things to eat. so none of you need to worry about how i've been eating, i've found lots of delicious foods. for some reason we started off experimenting with the boring food, but now we're doing full-on korean bbq and lots and lots of lil appetizers and kimbab which is kind of like sushi rolls, and the beer still tastes very good and we're all going for sushi on the 14th so i'm very happy!

this camp is almost over, the kids only stay for 12 days, so they have only a few days left with us. then we have one day off (yaaaaaaaaaay sleeping in maybe?) and then we start a new camp. it is rather draining to work with kids from 10 am to 5:30pm, though we have a ten minute break every hour + a one hour and ten minute lunch and then a 30 minute snacktime in the afternoon. the day does tend to rush by pretty quickly. i'm starting to wish there were more time in a day so that i could do all the activities i've planned with the kids!

they did a really cool one yesterday, in pairs they had this giant blank comic strip to look at. as a class we went over each picture and talked about what was in each picture/what was happening. then they had to write a line for each picture, fill in the words in the comic and colour it in. anyway, i thought it was cool. today we do part 2.

so all the food is good overall except this one really weird gross sea creature with no english translation. because we had a spread of dishes with different foods, and every one was delicious and delightful, i was feeling particularly courageous so i dipped my chopsticks into this bowl of soup and fished out some morself of mystery and into my mouth it went. ... not only did it taste bad, but it popped in my mouth, as in something in there popped, and i spit it out and asked the TAs what it was. i found out it was a sea creature, and that it pops in your mouth. at this point, i figured it was safe to put it back in my mouth since it had already popped and i felt really rude spitting out food, so i put it back in, only to have it pop two more times. it was more or less an unpleasant surprise and the only really gross food i've tasted in korea. a couple of the other teachers tried it and were equally if not more grossed out. oh well, there's worse that could happen.

i'm going to myeong dong tonight, shopping with my TA. it's a funky/chic little shopping district in downtown seoul. you could think of it as queen street west mixed in with yorkville but a whole bunch of twisty alleyways. i'm very excited. i explored it on my own on my half-day off earlier this week but i was too timid to actually go into any of the stores. i will tonight!! i'm very excited about the shopping, you can bargain, and everything really is very cute and stylish! plus i have my TA with me to guide/counsel me and we will go out to eat too.

i'm also hoping to go check out the Luce Vista which is some light installation over a beautiful man-made river in downtown seoul by an italian artist. we tried to go check it out last week, but the lights were all off as it was the end of the exhibition. however one of the TAs made a phone call, and though i don't know if that made the difference or not, but the lights will be on again until Feb 10th because there was so much interest in the lights. I will check it out and take photos tonight!

And thinking about italy.. i was looking at my photos the other day and i can't believe how much i miss it! not the big cities really, what i really miss is tassulo! i want to go there and spend more than 5 days this time, maybe two weeks would be good. there's just so much to see that i haven't seen yet. There is the bottom of the gorge, and more mountain exploring, and i'd like to go see lago di tovel again, etc. etc. plus i want to see if this taverna that dad said existed back in the day will actually be open and i can rouse up the village :P also i want to see castel nanno.. etc.

ok lunchtime is over, it snowed today so all the kids went out to have snowball fights. they are quite wild.
hope everything is fine/fun at home!
love
krystal



January 14 2008 - Re: hey


yeah i don't mind if you forward the emails to my cousins, it's fine. i went to karaoke tonight!!! ohmygod, soooo much fun!!! i have a day off tomorrow, i'm shopping.
uhhmm, hmm for china, i can probably pick up some chinese, are there some forms or anything i can read, or apply for? if that's out, then i'll do korea again in august, i've got friends here now and it is really great 😊

ps of course i know something about chinese culture, i have an interest in it, which i think is enough for me to able to expand on. one of my buds here has taught in china for a year and i'm sure he wouldn't mind passing on some chinese for me. 😊

i'm having such a good time!!!

yeea, i'll send you a proper email to forward to everyone soontimes k?
love you!
xoxoxo
krystal




--------- To my Teaching Assistant H---------

January 15 2008

hi H!

c'est moi! your chingoo - i wanted to email you to tell you something.. and now i've forgotten. ah no wait, now i remember! its because i got to read the letter you wrote me this morning and it was really very nice. also i'm about to eat some of this yummy chocolate right now!!

i went to insa dong today with B and S, and then i went to myeong dong by myself (and i bought those shoes that i liked) and then i went and looked at the purses again and kind of tried to bargain but it didn't really work, but i told the guy i'd come back tomorrow. but tomorrow could mean the day after. and then i thought i saw a girl wearing the same coat as you, and then i saw M and K! but not you! booo..

but i had a lot a lot of fun last night, and i really liked having you as a TA and now you are my friend too, so its okay.

i hope you had a very good day!

krystal



January 20 2008 - hey

hey!

update -

so my students - the first batch - graduated. they were a really good group and they had to do a performance, they sang the teddy bear's picnic (the whole camp), then the whole camp also had a choreographed performance of so long farewell from the sound of music, including the cuckoo part (my class were cuckoos) and as a class they performed the swimming pool song :swimming, swimming in my swimming pool...

They were really cute, and then the president of the University made a speech, and the mayor of this district made a speech, then they were presented with the academic awards

anyways these new students keep following me around i will continue this later

hey!
so a few days have gone by now, i'm getting used to my new students, they're getting used to me, i like them now, as opposed to being absolutely terrified of them on the first day during which we had to do icebreakers allll day. plus they don't talk the first day and they don't respond to anything.

anyways, now they love me, and i really like them, and they think i'm beautiful (or they say it a lot) and yesterday at lunch they all got out their cell phone cameras and took pictures of me.. they're like the little cell phone paparazzi, and sent the photos to their friends. yes these kids all have cell phones and they are quite active with texting and i don't know what else. they're nuts.

i went up to see seoul tower with a few of the teachers the other night, it was quite the excursion because first you have to take a taxi up to the base of this mountain, then you have to line up to buy tickets, then line up to ride a cable car up to the summit of the mountain - THEN you have to buy tickets to go up the tower and wait in line to board the elevator. anyways, it was well worth it, it's beautiful and all lit up - i'll post my pictures shortly and the view of the city at night was pretty awesome too.

ok everyone's always talking to me! so this email could have been longer. i'll just sum up the upcoming class performance for the graduation. in combination with two other classes, my class is singing under the sea, and then by ourselves we are singing five little monkeys jumping on the bed! it's going to be stellar..!

ok hope everything is great back home
also sis, have you read the thailand guidebook? i was thinking of extending my trip by doing that yoga retreat, i really am starting to adore yoga.. unbelievable.. the other day i was exhausted, no energy, and then after the yoga session with the kids, my energy just lifted and i went to seoul tower that evening. so i want to do that yoga retreat that's kind of affiliated with the free and easy tour. also i might want to explore a bit on my own.. maybe laos? my friend AJ goes on about it.. and he's quite the knowledgeable one, so maybe...

also if china doesn't happen, i was thinking of maybe coming back here to do another camp in august.. since i have so many friends here now and it's been a great experience... i hear south korea is very very hot in the summer....

ok love you!
xoxoo



January 24 2008 - Re: yoga

you have my itinerary i should be arriving on the 28th, i think.
i don't want to come back. i'm missing out on a little trip to the countryside with my friends 😞
plus i just don't want to come back and i don't want to write the lsat and i don't want to go to law school for three years and i don't want to live in toronto anymore i want to go far far away and explore.

.. ah don't mention that to anyone.
krys



January 24 2008 - Re: yoga

no! i don't want to go to teacher's college!!!
and i can't postpone.. its the application that's the problem! and my references.. they will all go to waste! besides, i can't change my flight anymore.. i do still want to go to law school. i had a long talk with one of the other teachers here, she reminds me of you actually. i've formulated a plan. come home, write the lsat (it's really not thaaat big a deal, it's just something that needs to get out of the way) then finish up my commitments to the play incl. get a part-time job/supply teaching and whatnot. as soon as the play is done though - i am heading to costa rica to see frederique. have you seen her pictures on facebook? she's having an awesome time, i am for sure going to join her. then head to thailand + extend thailand trip by 2 weeks + maybe a little visit to laos/cambodia we'll see. then in august, either come back and do the summer english camp, or just move to korea for one year to teach. (if i get in to law school, i will defer a year) after i've done one semester of law school (after this one year of teaching in korea) then i will apply to do an exchange/transfer to uni outside of canada to finish. maybe in london. but i do not want to be caged in toronto. i don't i don't i don't i don't! (plus that year teaching in korea will have made me some money to pay international student fees) and my friend S will be living in london, and maybe still my friend J!

love you
krystal



January 25 2008 - Re: yoga

emergency change of plan

i've just been informed that i CAN change my flight - the coordinator said that if i wanted to go on the little trip, it's possible to change my flight details . this would mean i would fly home on feb 6th. i don't want to write the lsat, i don't want to be pressured into making this decision right away (law school). i'm goign to talk it over with S.

so. if its no trouble to the trip people, then i am extending my trip to korea a little bit more!!!
love you!!
xoxoxo



January 25 2008 - Re: Work

hey, all this sounds good
plus now i have teaching experience under my belt!
i will definately be interested in this when i get back, and plan on pursuing it more ardently - .. this isn't 100%!f(MISSING)inal yet, but i'm extending my trip, saying f*** you to the lsats and law school for the present time and enjoying travel

see you in a little later then expected!
krystal



January 26 2008 - Re: emergency, i need you to cancel my flight!!!

hi!!!

ok, so then it's all fine? it's the chicago connection that needed to be cancelled.. i figured it would have been cancelled nono, wait, i should be scheduled on feb 6th..! i don't have any of the flight info!
are you sure its feb 5th? (cuz with the time change i'm not sure!!) i'll send it to you once i get it. or you can just call the airline, it's the only flight from seoul to chicago to toronto all week.

so this is the plan:
10 of us, (4teachers 6 TAs) have rented 2 cars and a condo for one night, we are driving to Kyung-Joo which is one of the really cultural/historical centers in south korea (we are driving south) the TAs planned this all, and they've outdone themselves, they've typed up an itinerary with pictures and figured out all the finances, and its actually really cheap!!
then 2 of the other girl teachers and i are going to see a city called Busan for a couple of days. Then we are going to visit a friend of S's and we're staying at her place for two nights. THEN we are going to do a 2 night templestay in Daejeon!!! Then S and I head back to Seoul for our flight on the 6th and we meet up with two of our TAs for dinner, we are sleeping at a hostel at Insa Dong which is a really cool neighbourhood in Seoul and then we catch the airline limo to the airport for our flights!!!


i'm sooooooooo excited!! thanks so much sis!! (uhh can you call again though, just to make SURE SURE SURE? i know you're busy!)))

thanks youuuuuu
xooxox
krystal



January 27 2008 - Re: thank you!!!

😊
well i'm happy everyone is so excited for me, i'm excited for me too! and one of our other teacher friends has been roped into joining the girls and I on the templestay and trip to busan so there will be 4 of us - the four of us who got along the best and went out together. so theres S, AJ, S and myself. and the beautiful wonderful TAs are coming with us for the first couple of days to Kyong Joo. We have to go buy the meat and alcohol today, and then S and i are moving into S's room for tonight because we have to check out today by noon.

classes are done, i really really liked the kids in this last camp, i think i bonded with them when we had the snowball fight. they played this slideshow/montage of pictures they'd been taking over the course of the two weeks and 2 of my girls were crying! they were crying when they left, and they already emailed me and told me they love me and will miss me. really really sweet people the koreans. i've promised everyone they can come visit me in toronto if im in town! these people are so great though, they really really truly are.


i don't really miss home, but i know the adventure is ending soon... but then it'll start up again in april!

love you
krys



January 27 2008 - Re: some phone calls i need you to make

reply from big sister:

ya ya ya. you can do that when you get back.
you're not getting anything for it, so don't feel guilty about it. just enjoy yourself there. i'll repeat ENJOY YOURSELF THERE!!!



emails from some cute students who were sad i was leaving:


January 27 2008

Hi^-^ krystal.
I'm Anne.
Today is very cry..
krystal seeing you again..
teacher I'm LOVE.
teacherpicture..
krystal teacher..
seeing you again..
Good bye teache.
I LOVE YOU ㅋㅋㅋ
krystal 정말 사랑해요 사랑해요 사랑해요 사랑해요
Oh, My God very cry .


Hello!!!!!haha
I'm katie.
you are very kind and beautiful...
Thank you very much...T_T
see again!!!!!!T_T
best regards...*^_______^*
in canada study with ardor ....OK???
reter very hard-_-
NOW very sad...t_t
teacher gift Thank you
teacher's very kind
I like to krystal




January 27 2008 - the rest of the trip

OK

so, these will be my next 7 or however many days i have left in korea. i haven't stopped to count.
all i know is that tomorrow morning we are all meeting (that is, the foreign teachers - canadians S and AJ and Aussie S, and 5 Korean TAs ) and we are piling into a van and driving 5 hours south to a different province to take in the countryside and some Korean culture at Kyeong-Joo. We are going to visit the National Museum, the Buddha in the cave, and we're going to one of the biggest and most traditional and most beautiful temples in Korea. This will interspersed with bowling, karaoke, and drinking and eating 😊

Then AJ, S, S and I are heading to Busan which is apparently very beautiful and on the Southern coast of Korea. It is a port town, and I don't know much else about it other than that it's beautiful. We're staying at Zen backpackers where we can enjoy free fortune-telling and really cute rooms : http://www.zenbackpackers.com/ . For two nights i believe.

Then we are going to take a train/bus/ferry (who knows) to Okpo to visit one of S's friends who is living there and teaching. This is for the weekend, because apparently she would really appreciate some time with the girls and going out and stuff. We are making AJ find other accomodation. 2 nights.

Then we head to our exciting Templestay at Haeinsa. Our original temple idea fell through because they are closed for reno, but M suggested we try Haeinsa which is a very very famous and beautiful temple. it seems very beautiful.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haeinsa
It's very famous and it is known for being the repository for these ancient woodblocks on which they do printing. And there are also very famous priest/monks? that we might get to meet! We are very excited. Here is a korean website with beautiful pictures:
http://www.haeinsa.or.kr/maroo/board/?tbid=gallery

We leave S to go back to her friend's and S AJ and I book it back to Seoul where we will stay at the Beewon guesthouse near Insa Dong which is the more traditional marketplace in Seoul. I like Insa Dong. We are meeting two - hopefully three or more of our TAs - and whoever else wants to come - for food/drinks? and the next day S and I head to the airport at Incheon where we will meet AJ and a whole bunch of the other unlucky teachers who were stuck in Yongin City and didn't get to come experience Seoul like we did.

Love you all
see you in a bit
krystal



February 5 2008 - home

hey

i'm coming home today (or rather tomorrow for you) remember?
someone gonna come get me? i won't know.. since this is the last internetting i'm gonna have access to...

well love ya
xoxo



----------SNOWSTORM stranding me in Chicago overnight---------

February 7 2008 - my flight status


hey

so apparently my flight is on time, it is UA**** and it's arriving in toronto at 3:55pm. is mom gonna come get me? because i spent my canadian money on hotel and food. can you pay for a taxi with korean won or visa?

krys



February 7 2008

thanks for the numerous texts/updates and for letting mom know

ugh.. we all woke up at 5am because we couldn't sleep anymore so we finished the bottle of wine we ordered and are watching movies now. i checked the flight status and it appears to be on time.. i'll check again in a few hours.

k talk to you later!



Advertisement



Tot: 0.215s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 13; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0655s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb