The great wall of Korea among other things!


Advertisement
South Korea's flag
Asia » South Korea » Seoul
May 13th 2008
Published: May 16th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Last installment of my mid term break! John's parents were over from the USA and we explored various places during the course of the week. I went back out to the Korean folk village for the third time!!! I think I could be a tour guide there now!!
We also manged to visit some of the museums I have been keen to see, we went to the modern art museum which is located in Itaewon - called the Samsung museum and it was great. The actual buildings are worth the walk alone!! Its split into two halves, designed by two different architects and the difference and the roofs inside were fascinating!
Have to say I much prefer Asian modern art! the Western floor was a let down!!!!! 😊
Outside were two gigantic spiders which when viewed from the higher floors gave the illusion they were crawling over the city!!

Well worth a visit and good audi guide def helps when looking at the exhibits as without these very little is in English!!

We also headed to the National museum of Korea which has recently been revamped, set on a lake and with great views over the city. Very impressive displays especially the stone pagodas in the main museum section!

We had a great hike to over the back of Dongdaemun stadium, up a temple path through to the shaman praying areas to the top peak over looking Seoul. Here you could see them practicing their rituals, camping out and then from the top see over Seoul to the tower. It was a steep path but worth the views at the top. Then you could reach the Korean great wall and see how it transformed from old to new and walk all the way down it into the main residential areas.

Overall had a great week. Spent a lot of time chilling out in the sun 😉 what can you expect - I was studying!!!! honestly!!! hehe!!
Went to the cinema too to watch Iron man - I think the name is which was very funny and well worth a visit!!

Last few photos show my teacher's day celebrations at Bongseong middle school. We arrived and had a ceremony to celebrate teacher's day and each teacher was given a breast pin of flowers by a student.
Then we sang some songs and went to play a ping pong tournament. Each teacher was paired with one student and so the competition went on!! Took the first few games though for me to establish the rules!!! rather different to the UK so we did rather struggle, me team mate and me the first few games!! I kept hitting the ball when he was meant to haha!!! ah well all fun!
I mean come on they're brought up on the sport!
Must say though I was amazed, this tiny little school and inside hidden in one of their vacant class rooms were 2 golfing nets with tees and 4 table tennis tables!!! The vice principal is sports crazy! Jammy kids!

Enjoy the photos and hope to hear from you soon, missing everyone lots

Love Cer xxxx


Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



16th May 2008

the wall
hay you did't show us the wall, looks like hard walking to me your flowers look fab bit posh for you and what are the birds?
16th May 2008

Wow what big spiders you have over there!! dont think Em would like those too much! the walks and view look lovely the walk down the wall looks lovely not sure about up it though!! Brill pics, take care luv AJxx
16th May 2008

Ping Pong champ!!
Love the nonchalant ping pong player with hand in pocket LOL. Sounds like a brill couple of days at school - you can probably press bits of your flowers if you want to keep some. They are beautiful. Didn't realise there was a 'wall of Korea' - so many more bits Seoul to explore when we come out next!!! xxxxxxxxx
13th June 2008

That's so funny that your school has a secret sports room! I must go see the Samsung museum. Sounds good! I've been meaning to hit up the national Museum with J too. Did you see the Persia exhibit? I did that Shaman hike before. Really nice! Great photos!!

Tot: 0.258s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 65; dbt: 0.057s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb