Seoul Tour, Eating Dog & Mo'vember


Advertisement
South Korea's flag
Asia » South Korea » Seoul
November 30th 2006
Published: December 27th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Hello Everyone!

This blog highlights some of the fun things we did in the month of November....

The first and largest group of pictures is from a Seoul bus tour we did last month. We took this tour with some of our English Village friends, Nathan & Natalia, who set the whole thing up with the church that they go to. We ended up seeing quite a lot of things on this tour, some of which we've briefly seen before, and some of which were a completely new experience for us!

On this day we were picked up by a large bus, and first taken to a historical place here in South Korea known as Gyeongbokgung Palace. This palace was built in 1392, and was restored from the Korean War in just the past couple of decades. It was absolutely beautiful and quite an astonishing sight to see, especially since it is built right in the middle of a big city. Unfortunately, we couldn't walk around in the palace because it is closed on Tuesdays, but we did walk through the National Palace Museum - which we enjoyed just the same.

Next we headed to Insadong for lunch. Insadong is a very "artsy-fartsy" part of the city, and is especially great for finding Korean souvenirs. After lunch, we walked through an Andy Warhol art exhibit, and then met some interesting street vendors for dessert. These guys made a Korean pastry-like dessert for us, which was made of honey and a variety of nuts. They were delicious! Check out the video...

After spending some time in Insadong, we walked over to the Cheonggyecheon Stream and then got back on the bus to go to the Korean War Memorial & Museum. Here we saw many war artifacts & memorabilia inside, and then went out back to see all of the old tanks, airplanes, missiles, fighter jets, etc, etc. It was very cool to see all of this, but incredibly sad as well...especially because this war occurred only about 50 years ago and the 2 Koreas are still divided to this day. In front of this museum were all the flags of the different countries that played some role in this war. Although sad, we enjoyed this part of the tour very much.

Next, it was time for dinner. Our group got brave and thought we should all try some infamous dog cuisine that can be found here in S. Korea. Actually, I think I was the ONLY girl who tried it! But, I didn't like it anyway, so I eventually switched over to the chicken dish that the other females were eating. Larry thought it was just OK while he was eating it, but he didn't feel so good afterwards, and claims now that he wouldn't eat it again. Especially when we think of how the "dog soup" smelled....Well, basically it smelled like WET DOG!!! Yucky!!!

The last set of pictures is from an event that was held here in English Village called "Mo'Vember." During "Mo'Vember," or the entire month of November, the guys who participated could not shave their facial hair for the whole month. In the end, all were encouraged to shave a unique mustache to win awards. Some of the categories consisted of "Best Magnum P.I.," "Hollywood Hogan," "Handlebar Mustache," and "Dirty Phys. Ed. Teacher Mustache." As you can see by the pictures, some guys were a little more creative than others, but in the end everyone had a good time.

Talk to everyone soon!

Love,
Larry & Melanie

Korean for the Day: "Hwajangshiri odijo?" - Where's the toilet??


Additional photos below
Photos: 38, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



28th December 2006

Rufus would be very mad to hear that you were munching on one of his brothers:(
29th December 2006

No way
Don't think I'd try the dog.,although it looked like a fun tour.
1st January 2007

Love this thing!
You're a braver man than me, mate... DOG? I don't think I could do it. Your blog is awesome - thanks for getting us onto it. We look forward to reading your next entry, all about Christmas I hope. HAPPY NEW YEAR and very best wishes to both of you.
3rd January 2007

Happy New Years!
Hey Mel and Larry, WOW, I am jealous. It sounds like you are really loving it there in Korea. Do you ever find yourself saying things accidently in Japanese? I even have trouble some times at home....hehehe! I hope you had a wonderful New Years and great Christmas! You both look amazing. Miss you heaps!

Tot: 0.426s; Tpl: 0.069s; cc: 14; qc: 87; dbt: 0.1778s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb