Calling OSHA!


Advertisement
South Korea's flag
Asia » South Korea » Jeollabuk-do » Jeonju » Seoshin-dong
October 7th 2008
Published: December 28th 2008
Edit Blog Post

So the owners of the building decided to remodel the lobby that was just remodeled. Mrs. Ahn was soooo mad, as were all of the foreign teachers, because the workers didn't do their work on off times. No, they decided to knock ceramic tiles off of the walls while our students were entering and leaving the school. Genius. They also rigged the elevator so you may or may not get an electric shock while the stairs were out of order due to all of the debris. Awesome. In the end, the lobby looked exactly as it did before they took the first swing of the sledgehammer. Well, the work was a little more shoddy than before, but it was basically the same.


And now for our history lesson of the word "Shoddy."

Shoddy was the scraps and dust off of the floor of textile mills that was rolled and glued together to make into blankets for Civil War soldiers. On the first rain, the soldiers would find their blankets in tatters and falling apart because of the lack of binding. Therefore, shoddy became less known as scraps and dust, but more known for terrible craftsmanship.

Verified info from: http://www.civilwarhome.com/terms.htm

", and then filled with shearman's dust" The magazine article continued: "Soldiers, on the first day's march or in the earliest storm, found their clothes, overcoats, and blanket, scattering to the win in rags or dissolving into their primitive elements of dust under the pelting rain"]"


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0455s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb