Food Story #3: A Little Less Basic - Noodles


Advertisement
South Korea's flag
Asia » South Korea » Gyeonggi-do
April 21st 2012
Published: April 21st 2012
Edit Blog Post

I’m back with three more dishes to tell you guys about. There are two soups and one non soup, all noodle meal.

The first one is actually a very famous Vietnamese dish called pho. Pho is incredible. It’s a soup with thin noodles, various vegetables, most predominantly marinated onions, sprouts, and sliced peppers, a heavenly broth (maybe chicken or beef stock), and your choice of protein. I usually choose chicken, but I’ve had it with beef and seafood before. Even though I found all of them to be good, I find myself going back to chicken more regularly. The game changer for this dish, however, is the spicy red sauce that you can mix in. It’s incredible. But beware, if you put too much in, you run the risk of turning your bowl into something close to unbearable. I’ve definitely reached that line before. You know it when your nose is running like a faucet and the sweat drops start refilling your bowl. Anyway, I found that pho is an amazing hangover food, and I think a large part of that has to do with the high sodium content. As you see in the picture, I also ordered a side of spring rolls, and a good old fashioned coke zero. By the way, the tea is all you can drink.

The next bowl of food is called Kimchi Ew Dong. I’m having a little trouble translating this one into the roman alphabet, but don’t get it confused with Oh Dang (no pun intended, there is a street food snack with this name). They are two WAY different things. This one is a thick noodle soup with a simple kimchi broth, kimchi, finely chopped vegetables, and what appears to be hard bread crumbs mixed in. This dish doesn’t really excite me too much. It’s simple and it’s more of a side soup than a stand-alone meal. The flavors are a little bland, with the kimchi producing the most dominant flavor. The best part of this for me is when the noodles are finished, you can eat all of the flavorful vegetables that have collected on the bottom of the bowl by the spoonful.

Finally, the last dish is called bibimguksu. This is bibimbop, but with noodles instead of rice. Bibim means a mixture, so you know right away that this will be a fun meal because you get to mix it up. (Who says I can’t play with my food?) In all honesty, I had a lot of trouble with this one. The dish is served cool, and by the time you have it thoroughly mixed, it’s room temperature warm. I already have trouble eating cold noodles, but eating a bowl of noodles that taste like they’ve been sitting on the kitchen table for a couple hours was too much for me. I felt like a little kid trying to choke down my vegetables. I want to get used to this new sensation though, because Korea has a lot of cold noodle meals that I hear are pretty good. Needless to say, I left more than I wanted to in the bowl.

Unfortunately, I couldn’t end this blog on a high note, but keep on reading, because my next blog will feature some of the best meals that I’ve had since I’ve been out here. Don’t forget to subscribe. Again, I’m getting an average of 50 - 60 views per blog, but only nine of you are subscribers. Also, leave a comment below. I want to hear what you have to say. Thanks for reading.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



21st April 2012

Oh Pho sho!
In your first picture of the Pho there is a big side of something in the upper left corner of the picture with what looks like sprouts on top. Is that eaten separate like a salad or is it just there to add more to your soup? Looks good homeboy, keep blogging the food, it's making me hungry.
21st April 2012

Dave! Your blogs are making me so hungry! I definitely am loving the pictures that go along with each dish. Hope you're having lots of fun!
21st April 2012

Moose, you add those sprouts and onions to the pho as you please:)

Tot: 0.133s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0666s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb