Finally bought bananas...


Advertisement
South Korea's flag
Asia » South Korea » Gyeonggi-do » Seongnam » Bundang
January 19th 2009
Published: January 19th 2009
Edit Blog Post


Christmas was good. North Americans eat too much, we’re fat..felt good! That was our holidays!
So, we have a place where we buy groceries. It’s called E-Mart, the equivalent to Walmart without the child labour. We buy groceries here and have had a heck of a time making it out of the store with bananas’. It seems that whenever we take the bananas to the checkout, the lady, who doesn’t speak a word of English, just takes the bananas, curses at us and places them below her till. This has happened three times. We thought that bananas were illegal in Korea for the longest time. Until now; Amy was determined, she found a random lady shopping and followed her like a stray cat until she found out the forbidden secret of banana-buying. It was soon brought to her attention that you have to take the bananas to a weighing lady that weighs your fruit, bags them, tags them and hands them back to you. What a concept! We knew it was going to be a great year!
So, BIS Canada (our school) has had a major re-facing. During the 3 weeks we were away, some major renovations took place where the directors decided that they ought to rearrange, mangle and deface our 3rd floor. We were able to put our input in before we left as to what we would prefer. So, think of a box with wallpaper, irregular dimensions, tacky workmanship and unsealed windows and you would have a box with wallpaper and irregular dimensions with tacky workmanship and unsealed windows, why would you want that? As for our school, its not that bad. Amy has a larger room (awesome) and I have the same room and am waiting to move on the condition that my new room is finished soon. The school looks good and we are all impressed that it was done on time. It has true potential! We were happy to see that the school had grown and Amy has 2 new students and I 4. It seemed that before Christmas, the general consensus from the staff was that we all 'need bigger rooms to manage the increase in students, but it seems that they have increased the number of rooms but the average room size has stayed the same if not decreased. We are learning that functionality is not important in Korea, just perception! But it is worth noting that the kids are great, the staff is incredible and we love Korea...with exceptions.
Lastly, the Lunar new year is approaching and yet again we have holidays! Amy and I have decided that it is only necessary to participate in the festivities in China for the New Year. So, as luck would have it, we have booked a flight to Beijing for 5 days. It's the year of the ox! On the 24th of January we will be venturing through a new country and exploring new customs, cultures and people...
Thanks to the people we love, we miss you all terribly...
In Christ



Advertisement



20th January 2009

Bananas
Glad you guys now will be able to eat bananas :) Funny how different things are, and how restricting that language barrier is! Hope you guys have a great trip to China... what an amazing adventure you two are on... you will never forget it! Love the updates... look forward to your return :)
29th January 2009

north americans?
what, you mean other countries don't completely over do it on holidays. i thought that everyone, everywhere always ate so much at christmas time that you pop buttons and have to pull out the elastic waist pants.

Tot: 0.149s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 9; qc: 51; dbt: 0.1092s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb