The North, South, and DMZ


Advertisement
South Korea's flag
Asia » South Korea » DMZ
November 7th 2008
Published: November 13th 2008
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: Ashley helps Shayne read 22 secs
2: Kitty Class singing 54 secs
3: Ice cream tricks 25 secs
4: More Ice Cream Tricks 15 secs
Lotte WorldLotte WorldLotte World

A small amusement park, with a very familiar looking castle...
As some of you know my best friend Shannon and her boyfriend Aaron came to visit a couple weeks ago. It was so nice to have a face from home and to be given the chance to play host for a week. It helped make Korea feel more like our home. Despite Shannon battling some serious jet-lag we all had a great week. They arrived on Wednesday night and we took them on base for pizza (yes, pizza- all that travel made them want some familiar food). It was so nice to catch up and start to fill them in on life in Korea. Their first night they had the pleasure of witnessing a drunk mother being restrained by her husband while her two children looked on (the first time I have every seen anything like that here, I swear!) and being held hostage by a bus driver who wouldn't let them off at the stop they needed.

The next day I was feeling fluish so I called into work and we went to Insadong where we visited a traditional tea house, did some shopping, ate Korean street food, tried aloe water (thick and sweet), and toured a Josan Dynasty
This little guy...This little guy...This little guy...

...bears a striking resemblance to one Jimminy Cricket
palace. It began to rain at the end of our walk through the palace and so we took cover in an open structure in the Secret Garden. This was certainly the best place to sit and wait out a rain storm. After the rain passed we cabbed it to Itaewon, had a Mexican dinner (I know, I know, but it was good) and then went to the National Theater of Korea and saw "Karma" which is a production of art, music and dancing, both modern and traditional. It was excellent and while we were there we picked up an ad for The Nutcracker, so Dan and I are planning on going to see that the week before Christmas.

The next day was Friday, and since that darned flu was still pestering me I decided to stay home from work again. It gave me the chance to go on base and get a flu shot (you know, to prevent any further flu breakouts...). Shannon and Aaron rested for the morning, did some walking through the Ville and got ready for the evening. We met with Kelly and took the train to Uijeongbu where we hooked up with Kelly's husband Corey, Patricia, and her boyfriend Chris. We had a great glabi dinner where Shannon and Aaron got to try Soju, Rasberry wine and Cass. Shannon wanted chicken, but the restaurant we were at didn't have any. Without asking the owners ordered out to another restaurant and got her fried chicken! Then he brought over a pepsi because it's "good for chicken". How nice!

After dinner we went to a kareoke bar and sang loudly and proudly for a few hours. It was a lot of fun, and after we sang our Madonna, Limp Bizkit, and Britney Spears we headed to Club Korea, danced a little, then headed back home.

On Saturday we lounged around the apartment, then got ready to go to Itaewon. We got there around 6, found that the Hamilton Hotel (where we always stay) was full so after checking into the Itaewon Hotel we went out for a sushi dinner. Since Shannon doesn't eat fish she ordered the veggie roll. I was so proud of her trying so many new things, and Aaron had nearly mastered the chopsticks. After dinner we had some Cold Stone for dessert, then turned in early because we were all pretty
A sign at Lotte WorldA sign at Lotte WorldA sign at Lotte World

telling you to take off your earrings because the ride is rough. This is what is called "Konglish".
tired and the following day was a busy one.

We got up around 9 (Aaron was actually up around 5:30 am, walked around and took pictures of early morning Seoul and found a fire station- they let him take some pictures of the trucks, equipment, and firemen since he is a fire fighter in Illinois) and had a full breakfast at an "American Style Diner". We were picked up at 11 am for our DMZ tour which was pretty fascinating. We went to the Third Infiltration Tunnel which was discovered in October 1978 and can accommodate a full division an hour plus weapons. It's only 44 meters from Seoul and when discovered was deemed an aggressive action by the South. The North claimed that it was not made for invading the South, but that it was a coal mine. This has been determined to be untrue, even though the North painted the words "coal" on the walls of the tunnel. There is no coal in this region, and the dynamite arrows point directly to Seoul. Also, it was dug so that water flowed toward the North. We walked in the tunnel as far as where the Demarcation Line is, but could not proceed further because the South set up three barriers. Photos are not allowed in the tunnel either, but imagine it is wide enough for about 4 people to stand shoulder-to-shoulder and the average height of the tunnel made it difficult for me to walk upright. (North Koreans are much shorter than South Koreans due to their lack of nutrition.) Four tunnels have been discovered in all and the South believes there may be up to 13 more.

We went to an observatory where we could see North Korea and the United Nations controlled Joint Security Area. It was clear where the North was, because they don't allow any plants to grow on their mountains. There is also a village run by the North. Since there was already a South Korean village in the DMZ the North declared they should be allowed to have a village there too. So they build a concrete town. The only people who live there are caretakers who turn lights on and off to make it look as though people are living there. The houses do not a have glass in the windows, but this can't be seen without binoculars. This is called Propaganda Village. Up until 4 years ago (when there was an agreed cease) the North would blare propaganda messages through loud speakers which could be heard by the South Korean village up to 20 hours a day. To retaliate, the South village would blare pop music.

Our tour guide was great and had so much interesting information. When we went to Dorasan Station on the Gyeongui Line (not a normal train station, this was after we went through security and drove through a deserted area) we were told that this is where thousands of South Koreans get on a train Monday-Friday and go into the North to work. The South builds factories for the North (because they don't have the technology or resources to do it) and allows North Koreas to work in these factories. The North Koreans only make about $22 month. And they accuse the US of exploiting foreign labor... At the end of the tour we bought North Korean beer and it was pretty good.

For Halloween last week the teachers at my school made a Haunted House for our students. It was pretty amazing. We hung plastic bags from the ceilings to make dark hall ways, had ghosts and witches scaring them, and a mad scientist with a head in a box. I was the hand in the Mystery Box (only on student was brave enough to put his hand in it, I was under the table and stuck my arm through a hole in the bottom of the box). I dressed up as a Dallas Cowboy football player (only with pig tails and fake eye lashes).

Well, hope you enjoy the pics, take care!


Additional photos below
Photos: 48, Displayed: 27


Advertisement



13th November 2008

Keep em coming....I love reading about your life!!!
13th November 2008

Great blog, Sweetie! What great pix, and interesting info about the two countries.

Tot: 0.12s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 62; dbt: 0.0699s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb