The DMZ


Advertisement
South Korea's flag
Asia » South Korea » DMZ
September 19th 2008
Published: September 19th 2008
Edit Blog Post

September 19/08- The Korean DMZ.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Photo 3Photo 3
Photo 3

This is the place called the "sunken garden". It is where there was a surprise attack by north korea on the south.
Bridge of no returnBridge of no return
Bridge of no return

This is the only bridge between the north and the south. It has not been used in 40 years since some american troops were killed crossing it. The border lies right in the middle, and there are command posts on either side of it.
Photo 5Photo 5
Photo 5

The bottom circular disk that the memorial is sitting on is the diameter of a tree that used to grow between two command posts belonging to south korea. The tree got in the way, so the south decided to cut it down. They send 5 labourers and 9 military personnel but were met by 11 north korean soldiers. They began to cut down the tree until 15 minutes into it, the north koreans started shooting. This was known as the axe murdering because one of the american militray comanders was killed by an axe in this fight.
Propaganda villagePropaganda village
Propaganda village

This is what the south forces call this north korean village. Every evening the lights in the village turn on and there is a PA system that says to the north koreans in the area, and all over the country that this village is paradise and to move here. The wierd thing is that the entire village is pretty much abandoned.
Command post for the northCommand post for the north
Command post for the north

You can see in the distance a command post for the north. We were told that they were watching us on the tour and that we were not make contact with them verbally or nonverbally when we got to a close distance.
Photo 7Photo 7
Photo 7

These are north korean soldiers. If you look down at the ground you can see a concrete divider. That marks the border b/t the countries. On most days the different troops line up right in front of eachother. Our tour guide, a sergeant, said that they stare their enemy in the face every day and therefore the camp mission statement is "In front of them all"
Tunnel 3Tunnel 3
Tunnel 3

This is a tunnel that the north was digging to invade the south. It is 2m by 2m and they said that if it had not been discovered, 30K troops could enter the south every hour. The tunnel was discovered and closed down. The walls are painted with black paint and coal dust because the north koreans say that it is an abandoned coal mine.
End of tunnel 3End of tunnel 3
End of tunnel 3

This is as far as the tunnel goes towards north korea.
Monument Monument
Monument

Monument to show that they are trying to unify korea. Inside the two halves is a carving of the korean peninsula.


Tot: 0.133s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 46; dbt: 0.1032s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb