DMZ


Advertisement
South Korea's flag
Asia » South Korea » DMZ
April 20th 2008
Published: April 20th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Yesterday we took a tour to the DMZ (demilitarized zone between North and South Korea). Very interesting!


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

The borderThe border
The border

See the North Korean guard on the background building? The ROK soldiers in the foreground all have black belts in Taekwondo and stand in the "ready" position (see guard on right).
MAC buildingMAC building
MAC building

Half of the tour group files into the MAC building (where meetings are held between the South and North Koreans). Half of the building is in S. Korea, the other half is technically N. Korea.
ROK soldierROK soldier
ROK soldier

This soldier is standing in North Korea. I was still technically in the South when I took this shot.
HarveyHarvey
Harvey

Our guide, inside the MAC building.
2 North Koreans2 North Koreans
2 North Koreans

The North Koreans came right up to the outside of the building. We were instructed not to make any hand gestures or look at them because they are watching and taping everything we do.
One foot in each countryOne foot in each country
One foot in each country

Michael needed a shot of him with one foot in each of the Koreas. :)
Freedom BuildingFreedom Building
Freedom Building

This building was constructed in the past few years to hold reunions between families from the North and South. However, North Koreans still aren't allowed to cross the DMZ.
North KoreaNorth Korea
North Korea

There it is...
Nearest North Korean TownNearest North Korean Town
Nearest North Korean Town

That enormous tower is a flag pole that holds a 600-pound North Korean flag. The town was also called "propaganda village" by our US military guides.


Tot: 0.136s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0391s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb