Sea Princess to Brunei, Sabah, China, South Korea, Japan, Iwo Jima, Guam, New Guinea.


Advertisement
South Korea's flag
Asia » South Korea » Busan
April 23rd 2013
Published: April 23rd 2013
Edit Blog Post

Day 22 At Sea.

Day 23, 28-04-2013. Pusan or, more correctly, Busan, South Korea.

The Korean people are the descendants of cold adapted people who migrated down the peninsular. They had high cheek bones and insulating eye lids. Human remains of a 7 year old boy from 4,000 years ago was found in a cave .

Busan has a population of 3.7 million.

We travelled with a wonderful guide on an excellent bus to Gyeong-ju to visit some 20 Burial Mounds created during 668 to 936 AD. They were for royalty and were designed to collapse and crush the human remains and make it difficult for grave robbers. 3 tombs were excavated in 1973 with one set up as a display; unfortunately no photographs were permitted and the contents were copies of the original articles so there was nothing to steal anyway.

We then visited the National Museum where photos WERE permitted! There was so much to see and so little time. Outside we saw the Divine Bell of King Sondok. Legend has it that the bell would not ring properly until it was recast and a child thrown into the molten bronze. It now sounds like a child calling for her mother.

We had lunch, complete with dance groups, at the flash Commodore Hotel. On the way back to Busan we visited the Bulguksa Zen Buddhist Temple.

Earthquakes are common. High rise accommodation was common in the city but less so in rural areas. A 100 square metre 3 bedroom apartment costs about $400,000.

18 year old young men spend 10 years in the army, it is voluntary for 18 year old young women who do 8 years. This results in late marriages and may be a factor in the low population growth of 1% (good but the bean counters want more!). Average life span for men is 79 and women 83. Parents must pay for the senior education of their children and it is expensive.

We saw the high nets of at least 6 golf practice ranges.

The main industries are industries ship building and cars. The Mitsubishi ship yards were modern and impressive. We sailed past them as we left.

South Korea is self sufficient in rice only and must import the rest. It was obvious that almost every flat piece of land that did not have a building on it was under cultivation. It was also interesting that housing had been allowed to spread onto the arable land instead of being confined to the hills. A typical farmer has less than 2 acres.

There are few birds but bears and tigers have been eliminated (largely by wars). Wild boars are a problem.

The roads that we travelled on were often elevated and excellent without being crowded with cars but we did not use any public transport. A fast train leaves Busan every half hour for Seoul.


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement



Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0443s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb