Trekking at Mount Pinatubo, Zambales


Advertisement
Philippines' flag
Asia » Philippines » Mt Pinatubo
July 13th 2011
Published: July 8th 2012
Edit Blog Post

From Quezon City to Capas, Tarlac

Photo album

After calling up the Pinatubo Spa town located at Bgy. Sta Juliana in Capas, Tarlac to make a reservation for a morning trekking in the volcano, we began our sojourn to Mt. Pinatubo. Our contact person is Lydia de Guzman: 0909-9513103. Other contact numbers are: 045-4390031; 0456150454; 0909-7591300. On April 26, 2009 before lunchtime, we rode a Victory liner bus based in Quezon City in going to Dagupan. The fare is 150 pesos. Our destination is Capas,Tarlac. We got off at Capas junction and hired a tricycle in going to Bgy. Sta Juliana where the Spa town is located. It costs 300 pesos per tricycle. The distance from junction to Sta. Juliana is 21 kms. but it is a comfortable ride because the road is smooth. We arrived late in the afternoon at the Spa. Although there are no private rooms, we decided to sleep at Spa Town because it was such a hassle to wake up at 2 am and climb the volcano the same day. The overnight stay means you have to sleep either in the balkon with roof which is being used for massage purposes or for a little privacy, you can sleep inside where the lockers are located. It is a huge space and at the back, there are showers and toilets. Mattrasses, towels and soaps are provided. Clean oversized shirts and shorts used for massage purposes may be borrowed for sleeping. A very thin blanket is handy to bring.

An overnight stay costs 500 pesos per person including breakfast. Without breakfast, it costs 300 pesos. A dinner costs 250 pesos per person. Drinks are excluded but water is being served. Drinks are a bit expensive but there are stores opposite the Spa town as an alternative. Choices of meals are Korean and Filipino. Filipino food consists of chicken adobo, pansit, chopsuey, potato salad, steamed kangkong, rice and banana. Korean meal consists of chicken with kimchi, rice and banana. Being semi-vegetarians, we opted for vegetables and fish. Some bloggers complained about the food being served but we found that the meals are reasonable. The food being served is a big portion, more like a construction worker's meal. For breakfast, we only requested beans, eggs and rice.

Climbing Mt. Pinatubo
On april 27, 2009, we woke up at 5 am, had a shower and ate breakfast at 5:30 am. We made a reservation at Spa Town for transportation. At around 6:20 am, we rode a 4x4 wheel drive. It has a six-seater capacity including a driver and guide. The package for trekking for foreigners is 4,000 pesos including guide fee, skyway toll fee, shower and lunch. It seems that a lower rate is given to Filipinos so just inquire at Spa town.

The ride to Mt. Pinatubo is bumpy. The road is rough, we crossed streams and our aeta driver Survi is a very skilled one. Along the way, we came across group of aetas and even stopped at a Zambales aeta village to take some photos. The view along the way is beautiful.

Tip: if you want to combine making aeta kids happy and you having an adventure, do buy some candies/crackers to be given away when you see them. They will be more than happy.

Normally, the trekking to Mt. Pinatubo by foot takes 1 1/2 hours. Since the skyway is opened recently, the trekking lasts from 12-20 minutes depending on how fast you are. After almost an hour drive with the jeep, we reached the location where the jeepney can be parked. There is a shed and a toilet nearby. We started hiking crossing small streams and climbing unto rocks. Our guide wears slippers. It is advisable though to wear rubberized open sandals (Tribu) with thick socks. A liter water per person is a lot, only half liter or less will do because it is not so tiring as what others insinuated. Just be sure to take crackers/chips with you in case you become hungry. Before reaching the crater, we saw that an open shelter with roofs are being constructed for climbers who want to spend an overnight stay there. After a steep stair climb, we reached the crater. It is fascinating! You have to be there so you can appreciate it more. Afterwards, we went down the stairs to the lake for a boat ride. It costs 250 pesos per person. You must wear a lifevest for protection. André swam in the lake. The water is very hot. According to the guide, the color of water changes, too. There are even bubbles on the lakeside meaning the vulcan is still active. We smelled sulphur which is logical. We couldn't go further to the right side of the lake because it is too hot the boat would melt, that is what the boatman said. There is also a continous falling of sand and rocks resulting to weird rambling sound. To prevent the water from overflowing, a hole is made leading to Zambales sea.

In going down to the site where our vehicle is parked, we came across aeta villagers carrying sacks of stones. They sell it to the men constructing the roof. Big stones cost 2 pesos each and small ones cost 1 peso.

After our boatride, it began to rain. Thank God that we have seen everything before the view became hazy. The road going back to Spa town was floody. There was even a land slide to our left. Road construction workers cleared the path allowing vehicles to pass by safely. The road is terrible because it has big cracks and water is gushing into it. Crossing the streams seemed impossible. Rain kept pouring very hard that there was little visibility. Long live our driver Survi who managed to keep us safe. Our guide told us that when it rains like this, the skyway would have to be closed because of the flood. The new climbers should take the long road then which is 1 1/2 hours trekking. We arrived at the Spatown before noon.

Tip: go to Mt. Pinatubo early in the morning like what we did. The pictures are also better than in full sun.
After lunch, I had a body masage for 500 pesos. If you can bear having a hardcore massage, try it. André didn't like the massage because he wasn't able to relax.
Setback commuting
Going back from Bgy. Sta. Juliana to Capas junction can be a problem if you commute. Do coordinate with Spa town so that a tricycle can be arranged for your transportation.

Feedback: The use of public transportation is convenient in going to Capas, Tarlac. It is more adventurous and nobody gets tired from driving such long distances in case a car is an option. Our overnight stay at Spa town is worth it because we did not have to get up in the wee hours of the morning. We felt refreshed and we did not have to hurry up because we were already at the starting point of the trekking.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.263s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0458s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb