Day 2: Sojourn in Manila


Advertisement
Philippines' flag
Asia » Philippines » Metromanila
March 15th 2008
Published: March 21st 2008
Edit Blog Post

There is nothing more relaxing than staying in a place near a a body of water. And that happens to be near Manila Bay, where the cool breeze from the sea is soothing to the senses. I checked in at a first class hotel nearby so that whenever I feel like taking a leisurely stroll, I just walk a few blocks to the area called Bay Walk. Every morning is a new experience as I meet people and take interest in what they are doing. One thing for sure, they don't bother you except in a casual manner like a greeting or a smile. Unless you start the conversation, people will just keep on walking. I would buy a newspaper, call a vendor selling peanuts or cigarettes, or hail a taxi and randomly call for a place to go just so I could take an informal tour of the city. For one thing, traffic is horrible any place you go. MetroManila has grown not in area but in its population as well as in business and commercial ventures, but it has not well prepared to meet the swell in traffic and the rising sector of people from its nearby provinces coming to the city to look for work. It is therefore normal to observe poverty at its very core, of the homeless lying on the secluded sidewalks and corners creating an instant place to stay and call their "home". Due to uncontrolled air pollution caused by vehicles and buses belching out black smoke into the atmosphere, city building facades appear dull and unattractive. But never worry. You're not there to criticize but to enjoy the chance to be in another place and another culture. So to enjoy what life has to offer became my number one business in being in this lovely and exciting city. For sure, its women are pretty and charming, the security guards are serious, the taxi drivers are somewhat critical of the government but maybe, you suspect that they talk negatively of the government just to appeal to your sympathy and maybe, just maybe, when you pay him after the ride, it would be more than the actual fare itself. As in anywhere else where the source of income and livelihood rest with tourism, you always take it like a grain of salt when service people appeal to your sympathy or whatever. It's always up to you and your better sizing of things as to what you will do. Armed with these thoughts in mind, it is an enjoyable experience for me staying and visiting a lively city such as Manila.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.181s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0746s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb