Philippines a very peaceful despite....


Advertisement
Philippines' flag
Asia » Philippines » Luzon » Zambales
February 16th 2008
Published: February 16th 2008
Edit Blog Post

I have been reading a bloggers account of living in the Philippines. It sounds just as though l am living in a war zone which is almost total nonsense. I have lived here for 8 years with my wife and daughter aged 8 years and the people are very friendly and peaceful...and can say 99% of people live happy lives in this beautiful country. Sure many live on a small income but it is a land where you can live cheaply and fruit and vegetables grow all year round. It is safe to visit the country and you will enjoy yourselves here.

If you want to find trouble you can, stay out late in the night, some areas Manila are like most cities you are at risk. You can move freely in Manila, shopping and sightseeing no one will bother you.
Philippines is a place where you read about corruption in high places every day, but life goes on much the same. It is a country where demonstrations take place almost regularly every 18 months but that is in Manila. Life here is free from many restrictions in the West. Most foreigners enjoy their stay here and return, or like myself stay.

Writing sensational news is a thing we do in the West, but why bloggers do it l don't know. There is lots of good news in this country. Education standard is good much better than you would think and virtually free. Most children can read English. There are hospitals that are free, although medicine is not but if you don't have money you can take your bill to the local government office and they will pay it. Many Filipinos own land, given to them by the government maybe 25 to 30 years ago during some land reforms and a charter l believe. Quite sizeable areas. There are free clinics for young children with immunisation programmes. At Elementary school the young children will be fed as part of a health programme. Almost everyone including many school children have cellfones. Families with workers abroad will be financially supported by them and buy car and build houses.

So if you come to the Philippines you can join the demonstrators or spend your time getting to know the local people and have a very pleasant time in a beautiful country.

Al.


Advertisement



19th February 2008

Thanks about that blog...
Well-said.

Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0335s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb