Food food food


Advertisement
Philippines' flag
Asia » Philippines » La Union » Aringay » Santa Rita West
February 11th 2010
Published: February 11th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Rosario says it's time to add some new pictures of food. Everyone is anxious for us to try all of the local specialties. Fortunately, they usually prepare only a small portion of each dish -- and there are plenty of willing tasters -- so we only eat a few bites of each thing - with lots of rice, of course!


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Eggplant omeletteEggplant omelette
Eggplant omelette

The eggplant was first roasted over a gas flame. Then dipped in beaten egg and a little extra egg was poured over it in the pan. Although we've been trying to only sample each dish, we all had several servings.
PutoPuto
Puto

Francesca helped to make these steamed cakes made with rice flour, which are always served as the accompaniment to . . .
DiniguanDiniguan
Diniguan

"Chocolate meat" or pork stewed in a sauce of pork blood
"Chop suey""Chop suey"
"Chop suey"

mixed vegetables -- this version includes quail eggs and bitter melon
MangoMango
Mango

sliced ripe mangos are a frequent addition
BBQBBQ
BBQ

skewers of marinated pork, grilled on a charcoal fire
AdoboAdobo
Adobo

Stewed dog meat.Someone in the area prepared earlier in the day. Den teased her by asking if she wanted to know the dog's name. The other common joke is that people say you'll start barking.
kare-karekare-kare
kare-kare

this version was made with pig tails and feet. it's also made with oxtails.
RellenoRelleno
Relleno

First, the whole fish is beaten with a mallet and all of the meat, bones, guts are removed through the head. then all of that is cooked on the stove and the bones are picked out. then it's mixed with pork and stuffed back into the fish. After sewing up the fish, it's fried.
TilapiaTilapia
Tilapia

The favorite fish of our hostess. This was prepared in a flavorful stew. the small dish on the left is some embutido -- a hot dog encased in a ground meat mixture and fried.
Local OystersLocal Oysters
Local Oysters

Our host ate these fresh, but they have a bacteria that would make us sick because our digestive systems would need to adapt.
ChicoChico
Chico

a delicious fruit with the taste of brown sugar and the consistency of a ripe pear -- everyone has a tree so we are eating a lot to keep up with the ripening fruits. the sap of the tree is used to make chewing gum.
Bitter melonBitter melon
Bitter melon

it's cooked and added to many dishes.
More tilapiaMore tilapia
More tilapia

this was braised and then topped with vegetables and a sweet and sour sauce
Mango saladMango salad
Mango salad

a simple salad made with mango and tomatoes -- naimas!


11th February 2010

Looks good!
wow, everything looks delicious! I wanna try that egg plant dish, but I am snowbound, so I can only look. The fish looks delish too! How was the dog? Kinda struggling to wrap my around that part, but it looks good.....
11th February 2010

Food
Thanks for sending us more food pictures. I totally forgot about the chico! Anyway, have you tried the halo-halo yet? ....and you have to try the banana cue if you haven't already.
12th February 2010

halo halo
yes we did but i'm still not that big a fan. i like the different ambrosia salads more -- we had grapefruit and banana today. and we had some banana cue to sustain us while getting tatted up. :)
12th February 2010

the dog
we didn't watch them doing the actual killing, but it is done as humanely as you can when butchering an animal. they were singeing the fur off while sario and cesca watched. but when it's cooked you can't tell what it is. we had some last night with my great nephews and it tasted just like really tasty beef stew.

Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0388s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb