Dingayang, and the Philippines so far....


Advertisement
Philippines' flag
Asia » Philippines » Iloilo
January 27th 2009
Published: January 29th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Hello Everyone,

Well NZ is only a distant memory now as I have spent a few days in Singapore visiting some of the sites inc Chinatown and Little India with Aaron.

On Thursday 22nd Aaron and I jumped on a flight to the Philippines and went to the island of Panay, the home of Aaron’s family, and where the weekend’s famous Dingayang festival is held. Aaron’s family business sponsored a tribe participating in the main event, this meant they had to enter a team for the Kasadyahan (Merry Making) parade on the Saturday for schools and sponsors. Thursday evening we introduced ourselves to the tribe and saw them rehearsing - as well as providing all 153 of them the snacks we helped prepare earlier.

On Friday we went into the office as Aaron is still trying to work. I helped prepare flyers for the weekend and visited their training centre which is under construction. I also assisted in interviewing 20 or so nurses with Aaron. The afternoon was spent organising various things for the festival and later we would start rehearsing our own dance routine to be performed in front of thousands of people and be streamed live on television!! To say we were underprepared would be a grand understatement… After practice Aaron took me out to a few of the local clubs to reward ourselves for a productive day. A very hazy Saturday morning began with amending and practicing our routine, finishing the outfits and some more rehearsing. Then before we knew it we had to leave to get to the city and take our place at the parade.

It was time!! We had walked the 1st few hundred meters with many lining the streets looking at me (more like staring!) as I am more than likely the first ever white person to take part! We were now at the 1st judging station (yes on top of everything else we were being judged!) known as the Grand Stand. At this station alone we performed in front of more than 2000 smiling faces. The drummers started and our routine began. I can’t really describe it but the crowed seemed to really enjoy the dance - judging by their applause, and howling laughter. The routine culminated in Aaron and I discarding our sombreros, taking centre stage affront of our fellow dancers who made a human pyramid, whilst we cart wheeled and roly-polied - this drew the greatest reaction from the spectators, though again it was mainly hysterical laughter and flashing cameras.

We had 3 more judging stations and several hours on the streets still to go, before we knew it our performance was over and the whole team were proud of what we had done. The evening then brought about big party at Aaron’s family house in true Philippine style with lots of food and karaoke before we left to visit the clubs with his cousins.

Sunday 25th was the big day for our tribe as it was the main Dingayang carnival. Aaron, one of his many cousins and I walked around the streets seeing some of the other tribes before catching up with Tribu Panagat (our tribe) and walking the finishing leg with them. They were fantastic, the sound the drummers made were superb and the dancers were very well drilled, we thought we could be in with a chance of winning. Unfortunately however the previous years champions retained the trophy.
After feeding the tribe and congratulating them on what they had achieved we tried on their outfits before making our way home for
The PhilippinesThe PhilippinesThe Philippines

Well a few of the 7000 islands
one final party to celebrate the festival. There was a banquet of food, live music and lots to drink, at midnight the celebration took a different turn as it was my birthday. The band sung Happy Birthday, I was given a cake and then kissed by more than 100 Filipino’s!
It was a fantastic evening and one which finished very early in the morning with a routine visit to the night club. Monday once we woke was spent checking out the mall, chilling by the pool before heading out for a fantastic evening meal.

Thank you to Aaron and his Mum as well as all of you who have sent me messages, thanks mum and dad for the electronic bday card. This is one birthday I will never forget.

Enjoy the pic’s lots of love
Tom xx



Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

The finaleThe finale
The finale

The end of the performance finished with a cartwheel into forward roll, the thousands wathing and millions of views at home loved it im sure!!


Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 62; dbt: 0.0499s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb