It's not all Bananas


Advertisement
Philippines' flag
Asia » Philippines » Davao del Norte
March 18th 2009
Published: March 18th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Phillipinen 183Phillipinen 183Phillipinen 183

The relaxing day, walking along the main road
It’s not all Bananas

After a day in the Projecthouse not doing anything but read books, make sketches on some houses and doing some calculation we where pretty exhausted with the lack of program. Add to that a two-hour massage and you will understand our state of frustration. As we were used to go daily to the town we also realized that we did not have any food, but some sweet bread for an afternoon tea. But as mentioned; laying around not doing anything did not burned many calories and we both have some spare so we coped pretty well.

The next day should turn out to be one of the most interesting days so far. As soon as Mr. EmEm came we went to town to publish “Sunday”. And yes, we also ate a double meal in the first meal-look-alike joint we spotted. Not a good choice, but the mission was completed. The roar downstairs had gone and the belly-bear was again sleeping.

We decided to go to the “fresh-marked” to enjoy the life of the locals. Already at the entrance of this huge marked we dropped the idea of buying food for the next few days.
Phillipinen 206Phillipinen 206Phillipinen 206

The "green zone" in the market
I simply do believe that fresh fish and meat belongs in a cool environment and that fish and animal should be alive by 38 dgr. Celsius. As we slowly walked along through an aisle in one of the marked-halls we realized that we once again were the main attraction. To lower my “white” hairy profile I still walked with my red cap on. But in the white special-light to make the merchandise look good it did the opposite to our skin. We walked like flashlights through the crowd and at that moment I wish I could perform some sorts of miracle like a sparkling person like we were suppose to do. The video-camera was now used as a shield forcing my way through the aisle. Sellers were offering me fish and meat, but they did not understand that our skin-colour was forever doomed to be like it was.

Over in the next hall the light was not so exposing. We walked more relaxed through loads of vegetables and fruit we did not even know the name of. And in all possible variety. Steamed, picked, boiled, dried, fried, frozen, chopped, ready-to-eat and more. It was like the floating marked west
Phillipinen 210Phillipinen 210Phillipinen 210

The fish and meat hall from a distance without fear for complications taking pictures
of Bangkok. Even the next section was astonishing. All kinds of spices and herbs as if we walked in a marked deep in Provence. This “fresh-market” was a true heaven for a gourmet, well a vegetarian gourmet that is.
We bought some more sweet bread for the evening supper and let Mr. EmEm take us home. We had one last godchild to visit, and a date with five girls claiming to have some interesting things to share.

Jake was a happy teenager living with his mother and four siblings. He’s father had run of with another women and had just as well produced three more children in equal amount of years. They lived in a cabin of about 10 m2. But we have learned that the people’s main concern are food and not how they live, so we enjoyed the hospitality and watching the 38 other children wondering what the strange pale people was doing their side of town.
We winked and said goodbye as we left. We both had a feeling that we will return to exactly this neighbourhood.

The date with the girls was made Saturday as they were part of the cleaning-patrol by the Projecthouse.
Phillipinen 217Phillipinen 217Phillipinen 217

Visit at Jake's home
Already then they tried to tell us something but with 60 other children that mission is impossible. So I asked them to write their storey and that we would come and pick it up Tuesday afternoon.
We reached the home where we should meet them and they rushed towards the van exciting to meet us again.

And here is the story from the girls:

We grew up in the same neighbourhood and knew of each other but never met as friends. Sometimes we even fought when we occasionally met. The life has always been a struggle trying to help our families providing food. Some days we have even gone to bed without food knowing that the next day can be as tuff as the previous. By drinking water and eating some bananas we still the worst hunger for the actual few days or weeks when the problems are peaking. One of us lives alone by a neighbour. Mama left when I was four months and my papa left for another woman.
As we grew older we kind of stayed together without being friends. We found each other interesting but were too proud inviting for friendship.
As we all
JudilieJudilieJudilie

Judilie
graduated the elementary-school we learned that we should be classmates. Some time later we all got godparents from “Mariphil Foundation” This was the final kick for us to connect. And what a connection. Instantly we felt like sisters meeting for the first time after years in exile. We bonded in a way that all other took notice over. One morning in school eating lunch we launched the idea of having a name. After all, we are a group and groups do have names. Five heads, but one undisputed name; “The Taquitous Gurlz”.
This is now two years ago and we are still going and growing strong. We feel so privileged to be able to attend to school and being financially supported. There are still hard days with no food but even than we can share our allowance with classmates we know are even in a worse situation. It is amazing what force and power it creates the fact that somebody believes in you and are willing to pay to, and for you. Even for me, who is living without mama and papa I feel the love from my other friends with their families.

Together we believe in our future.
JennyferlleJennyferlleJennyferlle

Jennyferlle
We have planes to go to Germany. Eventually we want to meet you great supporters who turned our life around by giving us a hope. We already study German and since to years we are improving our English preparing us to sometime visit other countries. Oh, gosh it’s only three or four years until we are 18. We may not have food everyday, but we know someday we will become somebody and also be able to make a difference to a child. So our godparents; thank you very much and God bless! You have helped us a lot more than you ever thought your money could do!

Judilie, Crismie, Jenniferlle, Jennifer and Edith-Ann (We may be simple and poor but we are beautiful)

Another joyful experience on our trip was over. A few pictures of these sparkling teenagers and we headed for a quick visit in one of the biggest banana-farms in the Philippines. 6000 boxes of Bananas, each 13 kg. are being packed and shipped every day. Only in the wash, sorting and packing-area are 280 people working divided in two shifts. An impressive plant. Also interesting to notice; all over Asia or the world for that
ChrismieChrismieChrismie

Chrismie
matter we find bugs, mosquitoes and flies irritating at night-time, and you can see the hundreds gathering around every artificial light there is. But here, not a sign of anything. The companies own airplanes with poison being sprayed daily have a good effect. I wonder if people living and working here is affected? But sadly, who cares, as long as the white monkeys like us get his bananas…….

Tomorrow we are headed for some relaxing time on a beautiful island where Berit can enjoy sun and beach and I have time to draw the houses to be presented in the Town Hall next week!

So don’t go away we’ll be right back…….

Berit & Alf




Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

JennipherJennipher
Jennipher

Jennipher
DSC00982DSC00982
DSC00982

All the girls with also the missing Edith-Ann
Phillipinen 230Phillipinen 230
Phillipinen 230

They are making bananas
Phillipinen 231Phillipinen 231
Phillipinen 231

and more Bananas


Tot: 0.041s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0213s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb