Friday the 13th


Advertisement
Philippines' flag
Asia » Philippines » Davao del Norte
March 14th 2009
Published: March 14th 2009
Edit Blog Post

IMGA0008IMGA0008IMGA0008

We are wondering where the Plot are?
Friday the 13th

We started early to see the plot on where the education-center, storage/machinery-hall and orphanage shall be build. The plot has access from to sides, which are good. The immediate idea was to divide the orphanage and the agriculture-center from each other with a separate entrance to each part. In this way we can leave the natural boundary consisting of a small river with lots of green plants and trees. The plot is fairly flat with only a few meters difference in level. With a land of 50.000 m2 this will than be of no problem.
People, mostly farmers, were very curious and moved slowly closer to see what this was all about. A white stranger with a paper and camera in his hand. I guess you don’t see that often around here. After a while it started to be a little bit funny when people took an extra trip passing us on bike or by foot, with no other goal than to turn around 500 meters ahead and go back. Of course we would also be curious, nervous and may be afraid when some Eskimos from Greenland came to our neighborhood, taking pictures and writing notes. May
IMGA0023IMGA0023IMGA0023

Here it is can't you see!
be they were thinking (like we should have) that now we have to move because of some nuclear plant or a governmental research facility are going to be built just where I lives. And of course it’s Friday the 13th.
But to be honest I think Mr. EmEm talked to the people and explained what this stranger was doing. If not; people have an awesome great smile knowing that in a short while a nuclear plant is going to be built.
After an hour or so with inspection we went to see an orphanage in Panabo City. Mr. EmEm told us that the facility had a capacity of 24 boys in the ages of 4 to 17 years. At the moment there were living 18 children there. These kids come from different environments but have all no families who can take care of them. Some have been abandoned, some abused, and other has been picked up from the street or having trouble with the law.
We entered a gate from the street and parked in front of a building. As always we were greeted and a big guy washing his car smiled at Mr. EmEm and told him something in
IMGA0028IMGA0028IMGA0028

Mr. Alf are calculating how much area, where the area should be and why and what to do with the river....
Pilipino. A lady met us and shook hands telling us warmly to come inside. She showed us around and at this moment it was as no surprise to us the standard of facility. All the kids were sharing the same bedroom with two-storey-beds. The kitchen was in the back yard and wow, there are really no comments to give. We asked if the kids tidy their room so good everyday, because there were no mattresses, pillows, sheets or anything. The lady told us that the orphanage was so poor that the kids had to sleep directly on the raw wooden bed. We thanked so much for the guiding and went to a center to have something to eat.
Everything in this country are sweet. The first day we bought different kind of bread only to find out that it was so very sweet. The best looking bread was not only sweet but was loaded with garlic as well. So it came as no shock that the ordered hamburger contained lots of sugar. We also tried can-food (spaghetti-meat-sauce) and Berit asked if I have used sugar instead of salt preparing it.
After eating we went to a store selling mattresses only
IMGA0010IMGA0010IMGA0010

The van still gooooing strong....
to find out if it´s unaffordable. We concluded that 20 mattresses in the actual size would cost 240,- Euro.
When we came out of the store the heaven was open. Not as we had hoped for but in terms of rain. We decided to cancel the visits to the first godchildren and went back home as quickly as possibly. Mr. EmEm reached the speed of 55 km/hour and we was afraid the van would fall in pieces. But we made it! And the rain kept poring, in buckets, for hours. So we went for a nap.
Some hours later we was waked by some knocking on our door. The massage-lady! We had earlier asked Mr. EmEm if we can buy some massage and he seemed to have arranged it.
The massage-lady was no other than ms. Leonora Arison, the mother of one of Denglers godchildren; Jake Arison. So the joy of massage was greater and we ordered at the same time another two appointments.

So long people! I hope that those of you who not read English have somebody who can translate it for you. Vi haper at dere som ikke leser engelsk vil finne noen som kan oversette
IMGA0016IMGA0016IMGA0016

Some worried neighbours moving closer by the minute...
for dere. Wir hoffen das die einige der keine oder wenig englisch verstehen lassen es übersetzt werden. Vi hoppas at ni som inte förstaar engelska hittar naagon att översätta aat er.

Berit & Alf



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

IMGA0029IMGA0029
IMGA0029

Children at the orphanage in the bedroom (for 24 kids)
IMGA0032IMGA0032
IMGA0032

Two kids trying to show happiness...
IMGA0034IMGA0034
IMGA0034

Our massagelady before or after the massage, I'm not shure....


14th March 2009

Längtar!
Jag blir bara mer och mer sugen på att åka dit och se allt som ni har sett och upplevt.. Stackars barn som inte ens har madrasser i sina sängar, själv har man både vinter och sommar täcke och minst två kuddar att vila huvudet på, efter en dags tv-tittande i soffan.. Orättvist! Men jag tror och hoppas att eran insats där nere kommer att påverka dessa barn! = ) Ha de bra! Puss å kram

Tot: 0.102s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0656s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb