Mt. Pulag


Advertisement
Philippines' flag
Asia » Philippines » Banaue
January 2nd 2010
Published: January 2nd 2010
Edit Blog Post


Mt. Pulag

Ever since I saw pictures of Mt. Pulag on the net, I promised myself that one day I to shall have my picture taken with a backdrop of a sea of clouds. Last Dec. I finally convinced my friends to climb this mountain with me.

Mt. Pulag is the 2nd highest mountain in the Philippines (second only to Mt. Apo by 110ft or so). Take note as of the climb I have had no real physical exercise for the past year or two! I was able to arrange the climb with a travel group that fixed everything for us. They provide the transportation, tents, food and guide.

If you’re interested in climbing Mt. Pulag, here’s our itinerary and cost breakdown. Ill also include some useful contact info. You can climb Pulag on a weekend trip if your time constrained but I suggest you make it’s a 3-4 day trip with layovers in Baguio to rest. I and my friends opted to make it a 3 day trip leaving for Baguio early afternoon so that we could rest that night.

Itinerary

Day 0, Dec 4
14:00 ETD Manila-Baguio
20:00 ETA Baguio, rest for the night

Day 1, Dec 5
04:00 wake up and meet up with travel group
05:00 Breakfast
06:00 ETD Baguio to Ranger Station
10:30 ETA Ranger Station, Lunch
12:00 Trekking Proper
03:30 ETA Campsite, Dinner, Overnight

Day 2, Dec 6
03:00 Wake-up Call
03:30 Summit Assault
05:00 ETA Summit
08:00 Breakfast
12:00 ETD Ranger Station, Lunch, Wash-up
19:00 ETA Ranger Station to Baguio, Dinner
21:00 ETD Baguio-Manila

Day 3, Dec 7
03:00 ETA Manila
(Special Thanks to Travel Factor for arranging the trip!)

The Baguio- Ranger station part of the trip makes used of a modified jeep for transportation, I don’t think that your car or SUV will be able to survive the rough road part without taking a very bad beating! I highly suggest that you take bonamin for the trip. At this part of the trip the landscape is already beautiful, lush surroundings and breath taking views await you. You will have to take a brief lecture for 20 min. at the DENR station, about an hour and a half from the ranger station on the do’s and don’ts on the mountain, likewise register and pay the climbing fees.

The trek from ranger station to camp site is relatively easy; you’ll be walking mostly uphill on a path for about 3 hours. No ropes are needed but since it’s an uphill trek expect to be tired when you reach the camp site; I guess this is relative to the level of fitness you’re in.




While at the camp, temperatures reached -5 degrees, please be advised that you will need layers of clothes!!! Please be guided accordingly. I was wearing 3 pairs of socks that night, cotton leggings under jogging pants, 1 short sleeve shirt, 2 long sleeves shirts, a think hooded cotton/polyester jacket, one wind breaker jacket and a bonnet and I was still freaking cold!!!

The summit assault starts at 3 am the next day (it takes about 2-2.5 hours) to be able to be at the summit for sunrise. I suggest you get a head lamp (P300 at ace hardware) instead of a hand held flashlight for the trip since it’s more convenient. When you reach the summit, the view will make all the pains of the trip worth it! It’s a lifetime experience being surrounded by a sea of cloud.



Total cost for the trip

P3100 without Manila - Baguio transpo. This includes all permit fees, guide, and transpo. ( Baguio-Pulag-Baguio), day 1 lunch, dinner and day two breakfast and loch, tent accommodations. This is through a tour group.

You can get in touch with the DENR Park Superintendent for the Mt. Pulag National Park, Ma'am Emerita Tamiray. She may be reached at +639196315402. For help arranging for guides and transportation to pulag if you want to DIY. For a group of 10 you’ll spend about 1,300 per pax but you’ll have to fix your own food, etc. Or go through a tour group if you want everything set up already at P3100.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



23rd February 2010

this is really great!
my friend and i are also interested in going for a climb at Mt. Pulag... thanks for all the info and nice photos ;)
6th March 2010

(n_n)
nice sir... very nice sharing your exp, climb high and steadfast be blessed!
19th March 2010

Super Nice and Cool
I love baguio, been there for 2 christmasses :) but haven't heard of Mt. Pulag. Galing talaga, thanks for this info. Geting hyped to plan for a trip. ASTIGGGGGG!!!!
21st August 2010

to visit mt. pulag
when i saw the picture of mt. pulag in my Face book.. i just starting to dream and climb mt. pulag. take picture to publish in my Fb.. I'm coming home for holiday on January.. my son will get married . so my plan is to visit mt. pulag with my son and daughter in-law..... Hope this dream will come true....God bless!!Julie
7th September 2010
Photo 8

Mt. Pulag
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ang sarap bumalik sa Mt. Pulag.
19th September 2010

question
great pictures....a walk in the clouds...but...may I ask, is it advisable to bring kids age 7 for this climb? thanks again...
20th October 2010

excited but not really.. hehehe
i hate mountain climbing/camping.. it's only because i like the pictures of mt pulag posted in the internet why im excited.. :D are campers allowed to have alcohol while camping? we'll be climbing on january 2011..
23rd January 2011

mt pulag expo
hi there, i read your blog and its wonderful.By the way im Benjamin Wacquisan Jr. ECE graduating student from SLU Baguio. My buddy and I are planning to hike at Mt Pulag probably on March 18,2011. Its just the two of us, so are we going to spend P3100 too for the tour? inclusive of tents and foods? are there any other expenses? we are determined to go there and you are the first person whom i came across while surfing the net. hope you can help me. Thanks a lot. God Bless
8th February 2011

whether
how's the whether there on April?? planning to go on April
16th February 2011
Photo 10

ice?
ice po yan?
21st March 2011

Hi Daryl, yup its ice :) ...it reached -6 deg when we were there
21st March 2011

Tripp, i think April will be good sice its dry season, hirap pag umulan!
21st March 2011

Hi Benjamin, the fee of the tour group was 3100 if your at baguio already, extra expess siguro is your water lang and snacks =)

Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0425s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb