Goodbye Philippines


Advertisement
Philippines' flag
Asia » Philippines » Baguio
May 31st 2002
Published: March 9th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Baguio City, Philippines


Left the country 31 May 2002 with daughter DJ.....for a new life's chapter in San Jose, California

Baguio City, Philippines has been my home for over 15 years....city of peace loving people and energy boosting climate...I say that because when I reach Baguio after travelling to another region or province, drained of energy, it feels like I just woke up from a very restful sleep...

Too bad though that Baguio has lost many pine trees along with their scent not to mention their natural airconditioning purpose....

FOR TOURIST: best place to eat although there's plenty, is Barrio Fiesta along upper Session Road...my husband then fiancee can't forget his meals there...And best way to explore the city: walk!!!! It is a very small city and tourist attractions are so close to each other. With all the good cheap food around, walking will be the best exercise to lose the intake. And remember NOT to leave litters - dispose them properly. Food - try fresh fruits, vegetables, meat, fish from the city market - cheap and fresh...can't go wrong! JUST PLEASE WASH thoroughly anything before eating or cooking, you can never be sure. It's bad enough to get sick but worst to be hospitalized during your trip. ONE more tip - be careful with your purse...though I love Baguio and would hate to point out anything bad about the city - pickpocketers and snatchers are everywhere especially in crowded places. I have been pickpocketed 3 times in my 15 years living there. Maybe it's my fault, maybe i was careless like what one policeman told me when I reported it but THEY are GOOD at their trade. And be wary because even little kids are used and decent looking women are doing it, too. And don't bother reporting it to the police, they'll tell you it's your fault! Hold on to those bags and wallets, and cellphone and Ipods...you never know who's sitting next to you in the jeepney or standing close at the escalator. For tourist/travellers, it's one of the worst experience to lost your wallet.....

Okay, that's just one of the very few "ugly" things in Baguio. If you go there rainy season - starting June, then be prepared because monsoon rains can last several days to weeks....BEST TO GO - January & February when it's cool and the Panagbenga Festival is celebrated. Panagbenga is Flower Festival where floats made of flowers are shown in parade, with the beautiful Pinays, street dancing with colorfully clad students and other participants from all over the country, marching bands, etc...this topic is discussed in a lot of websites and photos are everywhere for your viewing, just search "Panagbenga" It's one festival I miss...If you go, check out the schedule and venue of the painting - "LET A THOUSAND FLOWERS BLOOM" and go...it will be an unforgettable experience and who know, you might win with your painting..it used to be free - canvass and paints as they used them on the streets later...

Yes folks, if you plan to visit Asia, include Baguio City in your itinerary....you won't regret it!


Can't wait to go back!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 9; qc: 51; dbt: 0.047s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb