Lahore


Advertisement
Pakistan's flag
Asia » Pakistan
September 30th 2005
Published: October 22nd 2005
Edit Blog Post

In the center of Punjab, near the border to India is Lohore. I stayed here for a couple of days to recover from the many hours on bus and train.
Lahore is less dusty than the south of Pakistan but it's still very hot, 30 degree Celsius day and night. A thing you clearly notice here is the english and in general the western influence. Many people speak english, the youth plays cricket, and Lahore features a McDonald's, something unthinkable in Iran (it's even hard to find a original Coke TM there...).
Many buildings are also connected to the time of the english West India. For example the 'Wonder House', a museum where they - among other stuff - show things from the colonial times, and Zam Zama, a very big cannon in front of the museum that also dates back to that time. It is known as Kim's Gun, too, relating it to the novel 'Kim' by Rudyard Kipling, a must-read if you are in northern Pakistan.
From earlier times and in the islamic tradition is the Badshahi Mosque in the center of the old town. With its four red minarets and three withe marble domes it looks very different
CricketCricketCricket

Very common among the Pakistani youth.
than all the mosques of middle east.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Old Man at the BazarOld Man at the Bazar
Old Man at the Bazar

Although the bazar is a very lively area (got my little friend stolen by some kids :-( little bastards...) this man seemed to enjoy a quiet time.
Mosque EntranceMosque Entrance
Mosque Entrance

In the evening the entrance to the courtyard of Badshahi Mosque shows a silhouette of it's many beautiful turrets.
SunsetSunset
Sunset

One of the Mosque's smaller domes with two of the minarets.


Tot: 0.253s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 35; qc: 164; dbt: 0.201s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb