Hot and dusty Karachi


Advertisement
Pakistan's flag
Asia » Pakistan » Karachi
October 27th 2005
Published: August 17th 2007
Edit Blog Post

WOW first impressions of Karachi are hot and dusty. For an Englishman I was all disturbed at the lack of rain. In three months of being in Pakistan it did not rain once - whats that all about!!
I was based in the Clifton area of town and was suitably impressed by the life style. Some great restaurants about with a nice mix of cuisine. Clifton boasts a very smart shopping centre too with everything you could ever wish for - sadly even a McDonlads is there. I was warmed by the friendliness of the locals though got a bit bothered by people coming up and asking which part of London I was from - only to find they were on holidays from UK visiting family!!
Being Pakistans main port city there is lots of activity around the sea shore. Its dirty to be honest and can be a bit intimidating with gangs of locals loitering and begging. There is a great trip out of the harbour whereby you can go for a sail and have a meal out at sea looking back into Karachi - pretty impressive sights and nice because the guys on the boat catch your fare for super - not a lot of good for me as I am not a fish eater but they do have a nice mix of food on board. If you get the opportunity go and see the turtles too - I was lucky enough to see the hatching in November.

Karachi has a really good airport with great connections in the region offering pretty good deals. From Karachi I flew to Sri Lanka via Mumbia, Dubai, London and to Lahore. Good flight opportunities but trust me the airport is not so good. Take a good book and or make sure your batteries are well charged on your i-pod. Dont bother with the 'Free internet' either - by the time you have logged on it will be time to board - slow slow slow


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

beach scene Karachibeach scene Karachi
beach scene Karachi

quiet beaches Sadly very dirty and you do have to be careful of the nasty jellyfish NOT SO APPEAL NOW EH!


Tot: 0.124s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0447s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb