The Backwater Towns of Nepal


Advertisement
Asia » Nepal » Tanzen
October 7th 2012
Published: October 10th 2012
Edit Blog Post

We managed to get out of Kathmandu finally (more on that in later blog) a week ago and have since traveled among the farmlands, countryside and jungles of Nepal. Today we drove up into the mountains and are enjoying the slightly cooler weather. The intent of this blog is to begin to tell you about some of the things we have seen on our drive and the observations we’ve made and the impressions we... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 42, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Making cementMaking cement
Making cement

road construction
Local marketLocal market
Local market

your basic minimart



10th October 2012
Keeping an eye on things

love this photo :)
10th October 2012
Keeping an eye on things

She was so sweet
She smiled and waved and watched us exploring.
10th October 2012

The roads sound scary...
The very first episode of World's Most Dangerous Roads we watched was in Nepal in the rainy season...we've since decided that we are never watching the show again or we'll never travel in Asia or South America! Hope you are both well :)
10th October 2012

We can drink to that!
Many near misses....even without the rain. Evidentially, there is not a universal definition for the word "road". I frequently shut my eyes and hold my breath. Thanks for following along with us.
10th October 2012
Street performer

AND THE BEAT GOES ON
Loved the feel of your stories and the photos in this blog...you are in the Himalayas...how good is that! Like your explanation for reckless driving...is it a karma thing or just riding your luck? Guess it comes back to the karma thing...whatever will be will be.
10th October 2012
Street performer

Musicians can be found around the world
He was pretty good and having fun. Glad you enjoy the stories. We are meeting lots of great people and love getting to know Nepal a bit better.
10th October 2012

Nepal
Love the pictures- sure is a different world! What an adventure!
10th October 2012

Hi Lydia,
Yes, Nepal is a beautiful and rugged country. Dave made a joke today as we went up a hill full of potholes that he would never be able to make fun of the roads in Pittsburgh again. Ha, ha.
10th October 2012

I'm so glad that you are loving Nepal :)
It's like a second home to me....After Vietnam that is ;) You will be happy to know that the temperatures in Pokhara are somewhat cooler too. If you get a chance, pop into Moondance and say hello to the old place for me :) I soooooo wish that I was back there with you right now.
11th October 2012

Yes, it should sound like home to you.
We've been in Pokhara for the past 4 nights. A blog will come soon. This is our favorite town in Nepal. What a great feel it has about it.
11th October 2012

Next stop?
Mmm always wanted to visit Nepal.
11th October 2012

Hi Mert
Great hearing from you. Nepal is a diverse country and should be considered. We have a few more days here before heading to Bhutan.
11th October 2012

Very nice reading, thanks for sharing your mad driving in Nepal! You say: "In Nepal, when you are passing someone and the oncoming vehicle flashes lights at you it means they are in a hurry (....and you should get out of the way!)"... well, I've had that happen to me on an Autobahn in Germany!! Your photos are great too! Thanks.
12th October 2012

Yes, the autobahn can be crazy
But-- the good thing about the autobahn is it is paved and does not have potholes! Happy Travels.
13th October 2012

mad drivers in Nepal
I know, I know about the potholes, I was only talking about the 'attitude' of the fast drivers regarding mere mortals driving slower as a nuisance! Nepalese drivers may not be so different after all :-) Perhaps you could put photos of the road too... Keep trucking!
13th October 2012

Oh yes, agree with you.
We do seem to be a nuisance at times. I'll look for a photo of the road.

Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 16; qc: 35; dbt: 0.0586s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb