Is the Everest Base Camp trek a challenging Adventure ? V1


Advertisement
Nepal's flag
Asia » Nepal » Namche
February 15th 2012
Published: February 15th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Everest Base CampEverest Base CampEverest Base Camp

Mt Everest at sunrise near Base Camp on Kala Pattar
Everest has always been a fascinating land for trekkers as well as for climbers. Since 1953 when Tenzing Norgay and Edmund Hillary crossed the Khumbu Valley for their historic climb to the top of Everest, the trail has remained one of the most popular destinations in Nepal. But not every trekker reach Base Camp and very few still have the strength to climb Kala Pattar to have a wonderful mountain scenery of the top of Everest. Then is trekking towards Everest Base Camp a real challenge ?

Your journey starts from Kathmandu where you fly off towards the mountains for a 45mn scenic flight to Lhukla airport. From there, the trail is good track with passing through picturesque villages and crossing suspension bridges over the Dudh Khosi River. It is easy trek with gentle altitude gain and short ups and downs. But soon, reaching Namche Bazaar after 4/5 hours of walk along the steep dusty slope will give you a glimpse of what you should experienced when entering high altitude area. Then, the questions become relevant, am I fit enough to reach Everest Base Camp and climb to upper altitude. I would answer yes if you follow easy simple rules !

Khumbu valley is a stunning experience. You are dropped off to Lukha via the main domestic airlines and you instantly feel that you are in another world. The trail offers exceptional views of 7000 and 8000m snow-capped peaks glittering under the ardent sun. But altitude has to be considered seriously as it can affect every trekker, even fit adventurer. And occasionnaly (but not rarely), altitude kills !

1 – Find your pace.

Each year provides its cohort of desappointed trekkers that had to turned back before getting to the ultimate point. Always walk slowly with a steady pace, even if the terrain seems nice and flat. Your body needs to adapt to the altitude and it is a slow process. Save your energy for the last part of the trip where strengh and determination will help acheiving your goals.

(...) Reach Summit V2 soon

Advertisement



Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0422s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb