Where's the Loo in Kathmanpoo?


Advertisement
Nepal's flag
Asia » Nepal » Kathmandu
October 14th 2006
Published: October 9th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Border-CrosseRBorder-CrosseRBorder-CrosseR

Taking that final step, across the line on Friendship Bridge, from Tibet and China to Nepal. Smell the curry...
Can you imagine what this entry will entail? A rickety but relieving border crossing from the land of green onions in more food than you’d like to see, to the region of curry in the air. Another long jeep ride into the center of Nepal took us to Kathmandu, capital of one of the countries with the world’s highest rate of travelers’ trots! Only a few days later and we were ready to leave, but the trots got the best of us and put R into the clinic for two days while they tried to drip life back into him. He perked up considerably after 12 vials of liquid, and just as he was about to be discharged, M, who had been fine throughout the week’s tummy trials and tribulations, ran to the loo and expunged her lunch, marking the start of her own bout of food poisoning.

So in all we stayed in Kathmandu a week longer than either of us wished or planned, but we finally stitched ourselves together and made for the Indian border by shared 4x4 after 12 days (too long!)

Luckily, before the trots hit us, we spent two days visiting one school and
Kids in the 'DuKids in the 'DuKids in the 'Du

Some sprites we hung out with doing TWIG things in the city. Ducks go "whack whack whack" in Nepal, so this is how we sang. We went to the zoo during the morning and then made up songs and dances about the animals in the afternoon.
one orphanage, teaching the kids and dancing with them, sharing songs and lessons about trees and animals. Kids we met were energetic, lively, fun-loving and more disciplined than the Chinese children we were used to. We were happy to find some measure of authority given to elders in Nepalese culture, and had a fun morning exchanging yoga lessons with the children in the Kathmandu orphanage.

m & r



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

On The DripOn The Drip
On The Drip

R getting plugged into the liqui-Matrix which saved his life. Yay for rehydration! Yay for good veins!
Freeing the FinchesFreeing the Finches
Freeing the Finches

We bought their freedom: a gaggle of birds from a street vendor we took to the botanical gardens and let loose. They were beside themselves with joy to be released into the misty, grass-seed-filled heavenly grounds.
Chuffed ChapChuffed Chap
Chuffed Chap

Watching the birdies fly free.


16th October 2006

dinner
hay there richie i'm sure the birdys are 4 the eatin of not the liberating of!!!!!
19th November 2006

Hi
Malaika and Rich, where are you now? I'm still in Brussels - trying very hard to look for a dancing job. How are you?
23rd November 2006

an update of my own....
hi guys,glad to hear you're over the worst of your food nightmares.are you basically heading back home overland now?does'nt seem like you're going to get my way at all.anyway,currently on ko chang in thailand,living with 6 buddhist monks up a mountain.not a bad life,up at dawn,bed at dusk,no eating after 12,and an hour meditation a day.oh,and no beer.built a dam in the rain yesterday,ok they helped a bit.also met a nice girl from Brighton and it looks like we're going to Borneo together.i'll keep you posted.loads to tell,but not on a computer.one day we'll see each other faces to face eh?love and a big hug to both of you, peace,Chris.

Tot: 0.139s; Tpl: 0.023s; cc: 12; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0548s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb