Last Day....Kathmandu Sightseeing


Advertisement
Nepal's flag
Asia » Nepal » Kathmandu
October 15th 2010
Published: October 20th 2010
Edit Blog Post

With the busy schedule of the build and trek, we were unfortunately left with only two days in Kathmandu. On the evening of October 14, we were treated to an amazing Nepali dinner by our trekking company, Hira and Karnali Tours. We sat on pillows on the floor and were treated to Nepali dancers, even getting up to dance ourselves to the "Money Dance", a tune we became familiar with on the trek as it was the one the little Nepali kids sang when they were blocking the trail begging for money. Such a wonderful evening and good to see many people from Habitat again at the dinner.
The following day we were left with one last day for Kathmandu sightseeing....not nearly enough time and I regret not having more time (or energy) to really see and learn about so many sights in Kathmandu. We narrowed it to three very famous "must-see's" in the city: Monkey Temple, Cremation Site, and Patan. We were, unfortunately, quite exhausted by this time but Swayambhunath (Monkey Temple) and Pashupatinath (cremation site) were without a doubt two of the most unusual things I have ever seen.
Swayambhunath (Monkey Temple) is a very, very ancient temple with
Ben and MikeBen and MikeBen and Mike

New look for prayer scarves
a Buddhist Monastery, stupa, and most famously for it's thousands of holy monkeys running around. Likely infested with a few things we don't want, but entertaining to watch from a close distance. They are everywhere, running around the stupa, monastery, souvenir stands.

On next to Pashupatinath, which is a World Heritage Site and one of the largest Hindu temples, is also the site of cremations along the Bagmati River. Every day, 24 hours a day, bodies are brought here and cremated, with ashes then swept into the holy Bagmati River. We were told that if there are no bodies to cremate, a dummy is burned. Though this was not a problem as there were already 5 or 6 bodies being cremated and another 2 being prepared. The bodies are carried down to the river and wrapped in three cloths, white, orange and red. The feet are covered with water from the holy river, then the body is prepared for burning by covering with wood and branches. The cloths are removed, and the body is lit by funeral pyre by a son (if it is the father, the oldest son lights the body, if it is a mother, then the youngest son does the task). We watched as one very young boy, around 10, lit the body of one of his parents. The family then sits nearby as someone tends to the cremation over the next 4-6 hours. It is sobering to walk by these bodies, as close as 3-4 feet from them. The river is filthy dirty to us, with garbage and other things (dead dog floating) dumped in it. Quite a unique holy site, most definately popular with tourists from all countries.


Additional photos below
Photos: 40, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

SadhusSadhus
Sadhus

No bathing, dread-lock wearing, pot-smoking Sadhus
Offerings to BuddhaOfferings to Buddha
Offerings to Buddha

Really, Pepsi???


Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.042s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb