Research Time


Advertisement
Nepal's flag
Asia » Nepal » Kathmandu
April 11th 2009
Published: April 11th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Many apologies for not posting in a while. I suppose that at this point now, I have been in Nepal long enough that things have become a bit routinized, But I guess that it means that I have assimilated enough to just kind of go about my daily business.

Anyway, from now until mid-may, is our program’s period of independent field research. Tamar will intern full time at the UNHCR and I will conduct research in Bhaktapur, a nearby city of previous blog fame. We moved into a new apartment in a nice area of Kathmandu called Sanepa. Sanepa is home to many ex-pats, ngo and diplomat types. It is quiet and a little bit off the beaten track. So that is where we will be for the next month or so.

Aside from beginning research, perhaps the most exciting recent happening was a trip to the Jawalakhel Zoo. That’s right, there is a zoo. If 1st world zoos weren’t bad enough, a 3rd world zoo is so absurd that you almost forget to be heartbroken. They had three tigers, one of which was just pacing around seething. I am pretty sure that if he wanted to he could have gotten out…tigers are big big kitties. They also had elephants you could ride, rhinos, various leopards, monkeys (which is weird because they just live in the wild in some parts of Kathmandu) and wait for it…chipmunks. yup. chipmunks.

More to come as we settle into our new pattern.




Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.049s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0298s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb