On a lighter note…


Advertisement
Nepal's flag
Asia » Nepal » Kathmandu
February 20th 2009
Published: February 20th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Kathmandu life is full of newness each day. We made recent visits to Pashupatinath Temple and Boudanath Stupa (the world’s largest Buddhist stupa). Very cool, there were more monkeys at Pashpatinath. They were diving off of walls 15 feet into the (filthy) river; frisky frisky monkeys. It was a good time. Near Boudanath there are many Tibetan establishments and we stopped in one for a snack and some traditional Tibetan butter tea. Tibetan butter tea is not tea at all, it is like all butter. Imagine emptying one of those spray bottles of “I can’t believe it is not butter” into a glass, adding salt, a dash of milk and heating it up--that’s Tibetan butter tea.

On Wednesday, we were invited to the home of the US Ambassador to Nepal for a pizza party. It was us Cornell students as well as some Fulbright scholars who got to hobnob with the Ambassador and other diplomats including our former ambassador to Lebanon. Her house was, um, nice. It was a brief voyage back to the first world. The pizza was good too!

Next week we are off to rural Nepal for a brief study tour. Time now to experience life in a subsistence economy!

Oh, and I was told that a baseball cap was a good thing to have for this trip and of course I didn’t bring one, so I went to the nearby market and bartered for a 200 rupee foam-dome with a silk screened image of jimi on it. weird.




Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



20th February 2009

You're a frisky monkey. Say hi to your gypsy lady.

Tot: 0.046s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0271s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb