food for all seasons, kathmandu


Advertisement
Nepal's flag
Asia » Nepal » Kathmandu
November 26th 2008
Published: November 26th 2008
Edit Blog Post

our favorite morning tea brewerour favorite morning tea brewerour favorite morning tea brewer

outside our hotel in durbar square, he can't brew fast enough. draws a crowd of hippie tourists, street kids, druggies, students and just old guys. always exciting and he remembers his customers. trademark is a little coffee sprinkled on the top of the tea, delicious!
it may have been inferred that indian food surpasses nepali in a general sense from our previous writings and observations. however, there is a lot of indian food in nepal of course, and kathmandu is one of our favorite places to eat in the world. in fact, after finishing our langtang trek we have spent the last week pretty much only eating in our favorite joints around our hotel in freak street. we feel a little piggish and ashamed to admit this, but after the poor trekking cuisine, we had to stock up before starting volunteer work tomorrow.
many times the promise of a delicious and cheap dinner to come at the lumbini tandoori, served by the best waiter in 5 continents or universes in fact, was the only thing that got us to move our tired bones over the mountains while trekking. the memory of a bite of 'chocolate love' cake while listening to some classic rock at the snowman cafe, along with a wish to repeat such a memory in reality as well as in fantasy, put a little extra speed into our ascents and descents. we finally made it back, and we have been feasting in restaurant as well as at street stall. drinking lassis and tea in order to hydrate as well as nourish depleted resources.
kathmandu deserves top honors for it's food choices to suit all budgets, there are so many choices that it can be blinding, panic-inducing! whatever shall one do? how many things can one ingest in only one lifetime and with limited funds? one must avert one's eyes to avoid confusion and greed, enemies to fully enjoying any sensory experience. a strong focus on the essential, the favorites can help to cultivate lasting relationships with those particular vendors and food items. this is the most rewarding tactic and gives one a true feeling of nourishment, body and spirit.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

will someone please buy something?will someone please buy something?
will someone please buy something?

a candy or a cigarette, anything will do.
momo machine demomomo machine demo
momo machine demo

deservedly drawing a crowd, his little machines can create perfectly shaped momos and samosas, different sizes are available. he enjoys a roaring trade.
stick food is precious foodstick food is precious food
stick food is precious food

but what is it? anything you can insert a stick into i guess.


Tot: 0.191s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 61; dbt: 0.1129s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb