A new view


Advertisement
Nepal's flag
Asia » Nepal » Kathmandu
October 30th 2008
Published: October 30th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Happy Tihar! Yes, you're not mistaken, it is once again festival time in Nepal. Hindu's Tihar, also known as festival of lights, resembles Christmas for Christians. People decorate their homes with marigold garlands and lights as well as create elaborate sidewalk designs made of tika powder and colored rice in front of their doorways in hopes that Laksmi, the goddess of wealth, will pay them a visit. I joined the children of the orphanage as they walked from house to house, singing and dancing, dressed in their finest attair. They hold out a bag for receiving a gift of money and sweets (Halloween without the scare).

I recently travelled to Pokhara and Chitwan, finally getting a chance to see more of what Nepal has to offer, apart from Kathmandu valley! The bus ride from KTM to Pokhara was quite an experience. Steep cliffs, sharp cutbacks, plunging valleys, one lane highway(if you can even call it that), I took all of this excitement in from the very back seat of the bus where my head hit the ceiling each time we went over a bump. But no worries, it was only a 7 hour ride and they were kind enough to give us one bathroom break.

The views from Pokhara are breathtaking. Set beside a large lake near the Annapurna mountain range, I was thrilled to see snow-capped mountains again and take in the fresh air. The first day I hiked to the World Peace Pagoda, a famous Japanese built temple overlooking Pokhara and the sacred Maccapuchre peak. The next day was spent taking a day hike around Phewa Tal Lake, which the Lonely Planet guide book said was possible and the hotel manager said was NOT possible. By the time I was half way around the lake, it was only noon, so I decided to take the guide book's advice. However, taking a nice leisurely hike is not quite the same as in the US. There are no directional signs, no detailed maps of hiking trails, and you're best luck if you get lost is to ask for directions at a nearby village...that is, if you are up on your Nepali language skills. The afternoon was spent walking through neck-high rice paddies, crawling up steep mountain trails (of who they belonged to I'm not sure, possibly local animals of some sort), and lastly, picking more than a dozne leeches off of my body! The views from the top were worth it though.

From Pokhara, I went to Chitwan National Park, southwest of KTM. Amidst such rugged mountainous geography, it's hard to believe there's a jungle in Nepal. Chitwan is located in the Terai region of Nepal and is anything but mountainous. It's hot, humid, flat, and the national park is all thick jungle of bamboo and sal forests. Inhabitants of the jungle include rhinos, the last few remaining tigers, elephants, deer, monkeys, and hundreds of bird species. I enjoyed the views from atop the largest land mammal in the world, where you are literally in the trees, swaying side to side with each giant step, safe from the predators below.

I have gone from one jungle into another, that is, back in Kathmandu. I will return to Pokhara in a couple of weeks to go on a week long trek in the Annapurnas. But for now, it's time to celebrate Tihar. Perphaps next week I will inform you of yet another holiday! Hope all is well with everyone. Peace.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 44; dbt: 0.032s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb