Nepal-itics


Advertisement
Nepal's flag
Asia » Nepal » Kathmandu
July 16th 2007
Published: July 16th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0



UntitledMelinder here. It's been a few days because we've been in transit, but just a quick note to say we made it safely back from the island and, the next day, out of Bangkok to Kathmandu. We were whisked like VIPs to our friend's house - first time I've ever been met at an airport by a driver with a sign - so we haven't seen much of the city yet, but I think coming here from Bangkok was good because it makes it look much less built-up and polluted than I had heard it was supposed to be. To us it almost looked like a village after Bangkok. Mike saw his first cows in the street so we know we're really in South Asia. The traffic system, like India and Thailand, is largely horn-based.

We spent the afternoon decompressing - i.e. unpacking backpacks, washing still-wet bathing suits and our grubby selves, and luxuriating in the freedom of a real kitchen. Mike cooked his first meal in weeks and we ate with Dominic when he got home from work. Then we talked long past midnight and long past the power cut out, which is how I really started to get to know this place. I'd like to explore firsthand a bit more before blogging about it, but I'm very concerned about this beautiful country's short-term future. We don't hear much about it in the west though, and to be fair, things are changing every month. Still. It seems to me that the western world is supporting some schemes here which are going to amount to a pile of misery for many people.

That, inarticulate as it is, is probably all I should say for now until I can get out and see it for myself. Something tells me this gated expat compound we're in won't be the most accurate picture...

Advertisement



18th July 2007

Cat Man Do
Hi Melinda! Glad to hear that you made it to Nepal. So whats up with Nepal-itics? (Good name) Can't wait to hear what you find out. Its wonderful that you want to do your part to make the world a better place. Just be careful while you're out there, O.K.? We love you. Meanwhile, back in Thailand, that place you stayed at on KoSamui looks beautiful! And loved the other pics from Thailand. A beautiful country. And Buddhist too! Love to go there someday. Hope you get some time to enjoy Nepal, in between your undercover work! Thanks for keeping in touch. I guess the internet isn't so bad after all! Love you, Mom

Tot: 0.097s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 6; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0389s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb