Final Blog


Advertisement
Nepal's flag
Asia » Nepal » Kathmandu » Thamal
August 20th 2006
Published: August 22nd 2006
Edit Blog Post

Road to EverestRoad to EverestRoad to Everest

200 meters (2.5 hour trek) from the nearest town to Everest Base Camp. I know it sounds like a pretty slow pace.. but.. bare in mind that we're at 5,000 meters.
Hey everybody..

Hope everyone has had a great summer.. Before i head back to the real world in a few days (after buying some last minute trinkets in Kathmandu and Bangkok on my way home), i just wanted to share my last blog with all of you.

This summer has been truly amazing.. and was perfectly topped off by my time here in Nepal and Tibet. As you can see from the pictures, Kathmandu, Lhasa, Gyantse, and Shigatse, were all amazing places.. but.. there really isn't much that can compare to my experience sleeping at Everest Base Camp. Even staying at EBC which is at a height of 5,200 meters, the Peaks of Everest towered, and although I got quite sick at night from the high altitude, the sight of the North Face was truly truly breathtaking, humbling, and beyond anything I had ever imagined. I loved my time in Tibet.. and although it'll be tough to go back to work, this summer has been amazing..

Hope you enjoy the pictures, and see all of you soon.

Btw. I fly back to Portland on NW airlines on the 24th.. and they go on strike on the 25th.. talk about close..




Additional photos below
Photos: 64, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Sunrise at Everest Base CampSunrise at Everest Base Camp
Sunrise at Everest Base Camp

Mt. Everest.. height of 8,848 meters. To give it a little perspective, height of Mt. Hood = 3,429 meters. Also, height of Base camp = 5,200 meters, and at night, the temp. dropped to about -4 degrees celcius.
View of Kathmandu, NepalView of Kathmandu, Nepal
View of Kathmandu, Nepal

Taken from the top of Swayambhunath Stupa (Nepal's largest buddhist temple). This temple is also nicknamed monkey temple. Go figure.
Pashupatinath Stupa - Kathmandu, Nepal Pashupatinath Stupa - Kathmandu, Nepal
Pashupatinath Stupa - Kathmandu, Nepal

Women clensing at holy river. Pashupatinath stupa (hindu temple)
Evening debating session - Sera Monestary, Lhasa, TibetEvening debating session - Sera Monestary, Lhasa, Tibet
Evening debating session - Sera Monestary, Lhasa, Tibet

The monks standing up. are the one's answering, while the one's sitting down, are the one's asking. Also, anytime the answering monk feels he answered the question correctly, he will clap his hands, while leaning towards the sitting monk.
Potala Palace - Lhasa, TibetPotala Palace - Lhasa, Tibet
Potala Palace - Lhasa, Tibet

Former home of the Dali Lama, prior to his exile to India.


25th August 2006

bomb
all i can say is BOMB.

Tot: 0.138s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0343s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb