KATHMANDU


Advertisement
Nepal's flag
Asia » Nepal » Kathmandu » Thamal
December 14th 2007
Published: December 16th 2007
Edit Blog Post

The flight to Kathmandu was really good only about an hour and a half. We got ourselves a taxi and headed off to our hotel. It seems common place that when you get a taxi you also seem to get a guide trying to sell you the tours but much to the guys annoyance Tim had pre-arranged everything!!! The drive was easy and apart from the driver neally taking out a whole line of motorbikes trying to get us up a tight alley way to our hotel all was good. We were greeted by the owner and treated to some Neaplese tea which was made with ginger, cinnamon and alot of sugar. Very nice.

Our room over looked the gardens and had hot water and a large double bed with pristine white sheets. We both felt like we were in heaven !!!

The area on the drive in had looked very pleasant full of shops, cafes and bars so we wasted no time getting out there and exploring. Kathmandu was cold but it added to the enjoyment. We both knew we were going to have to get some warm coats and the local shops were very welcoming. As it was late we decided to leave it until the morning and headed for a beer and some food. The Thamel region we were staying in has a very Swiss feel to it and the coffee shop/bar we chose was cosy and very welcoming. So we snuggled down with an Everest beer, nachos, potato skins and thick chips. I thought my heart would burst with joy!!!!!! After another beer we headed back into the street and followed the sound of loud live music. We found ourselves going to the roof top of one of the buildings where there was an open air bar with a really good vibe and the band seemed very good. It was getting really cold now and anyone that knows Tim will understand when he spotted an open fire and made a beeline for it. It was set in a round hearth and there was large group of people around it so we sat further back. Just imagine our joy when the party gestured towarsds Tim that they were leaving and we took pole position by the fire!! Hoorah. Live music, warm brandy and an open fire - could this night get any better??? Well after 5 double brandy's (not VSOP standard but warming none the less!!!!) our happiness knew no boundaries. The band were really good and we both agreed it would be one of the memorable nights of the trip.

As we had re-arranged our ininary to include a place called Nargakot we only had a full day in Kathmandu instead of 3 so we decided we would just enjoy the local areas the following day instead of getting the full day tour like our hotel had suggested. It was great we enjoyed a nice lie in - in a clean comfortable bed and spent the day wondering round. We stopped off at Durbar Square which is a famous national heritage site due to the extensive architecture of the buildings dating back 100's of years. Although Nepal has it's poverty and there is a problem with rubbish it is far more organised than India. The people here dont beg and the rubbish is placed in designated areas for collection so the streets were relatively clean, The people were very welcoming and very willing to please. After buying our warm clothing, me a nice black warm cardigan and Tim an extremely outlandish Nepalese jacket (typical!!) we headed back to the hotel as we had a 5.30am pick up for our mountain flight the next morning........


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

TEMPLE BELLSTEMPLE BELLS
TEMPLE BELLS

DURBAR SQUARE
BURGLAR??BURGLAR??
BURGLAR??

A very cold Tim!!!


Tot: 0.117s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 16; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0567s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb