Power & Loadshedding


Advertisement
Nepal's flag
Asia » Nepal » Kathmandu » Lazimpat
March 26th 2009
Published: March 26th 2009
Edit Blog Post

So we have been living in our house for just over one month and still there has been no rain. As a result, yesterday we found out that we have about 3000L of water left in our tanks. So we called teh water people to find out when they can come and refill our tanks. Turns out they are booked for one more month. What does this mean - it means 30 second showers and no water for as long as possible, and unless it rains, we will have no water. Perhaps we will have to buy bottled water and attempt to pour it on ourselves whilst hurriedly cleaning away the dust and dirt from city living. On top of this we have been experiencing load shedding. 20 hours a day without power. Now I am pretty lucky as I am out of the house for 10 hours of the day and because I work in a hospital there is continuous power...but it really sucks when you are getting out of the shower and the power goes out and its pitch black and you can't find your towel and its the middle of winter! Once it starts raining both of these problems should go away, however it is anyone's guess when this will occur. I think within one month it should improve - having said that I am not sure what we will do this month whilst there is no power (or water).

In other news, I think I have public transport downpat. This is great because it is a fraction of the price of cabs. Yo can get from one side of KTM to the other for less than 30 cents.

Advertisement



26th March 2009

water
hey Liz, going by the Nepalese standards, you're living in luxury with that much water...people here aren't getting enough water even for drinking...no exaggeration...the rains have failed Nepal this year...so water water nowhere... http://shivapurinepal.blogspot.com/2009/03/dry-winter-spells-environment.html
31st March 2009

Hi!! I have finally got to read your travel blog, and totally jealous that you are doing all this. Not sure if it is all completely fun for you, but it is an amazing experience. Good luck with the rashoning of water :) and keep blogging!

Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0712s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb