Swayambhunath


Advertisement
Nepal's flag
Asia » Nepal » Kathmandu Valley
December 27th 2014
Published: January 2nd 2015
Edit Blog Post

As one of my personal highlights of Kathmandu, I decided that Swayambhunath (Monkey Temple) should get its own separate mention on this blog.
This ancient religious site sits proudly on top of a steep hill in the Kathmandu Valley and boasts phenomenal views of the city below. It's a steep but rewarding 365 step ascent to the top with many statues of Buddha, images of deities and as the name suggest, Monkeys!

Once you arrive at the summit you are greeted by a stupa which bears the notorious eyes of Buddha. There are many of these stupas around Kathmandu and although the stupa in boudha is much more impressive in scale, the dominate position high above the Kathmandu skyline makes this site fell more remarkable.

a number of other temples and shrines are also situated on the site as well as a Tibetan monastery but the area itself is not very large. The added greenery make a pleasant change from the dusty streets of the city and despite the number of people walking around it also feels much more sedate.

My experience here at Swayambhunath came with an unexpected revelation and interesting life lesson.... if you come in through the side entrance there are hardly any steps!


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0375s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb