Mt. Everest and temples


Advertisement
Nepal's flag
Asia » Nepal » Kathmandu Valley
June 8th 2011
Published: June 9th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Today was amazing! Very long, but very good. We started the day at 5 am to take a mountain view flight over the Himalayan Mountains. It was a small 18 seater so everyone had a window seat. Since it was open to the cockpit, they allowed each of us, one at a time, to go up and take pictures from the front view. We were so fortunate to have great weather, clear skies and the mountains were spectacular.

Afterwards, we came back to the hotel for breakfast then headed out for a day of temples. First up: Pashupatinath temple area. This is an extremely holy place for Hindus. All Hindus all over the world are expected to try and make a pilgrimage here once in their life. It is also a holy place for the Hindu method of cremation. If you can't be cremated in India's holiest place, this is the next best thing. The river next to the temple flows into the Ganges and HIndus believe if you're ashes are merged with the Ganges, then you are purified to go to heaven.

The cremation process is a bit interesting so if you get grossed out by this, just skip down. The body is taken to the river after death, generally traveled from other places in a wooden coffin. The body is prepared and placed on a flat platform among the steps that lead down to the river. Preparation includes dressing the body in their marriage clothes, both male and female or at least the same cloth and pattern used. If the women's husband is still alive, she is covered is a yellow cloth. Family members then walk down to pay their last respects and the priest gives them a lotion of water, honey and saffron to anoint the body. The body is then shifted down so that the feet touch the water. This is to purify the body. The body is wrapped completely covering the face and carried on a stretch to the funeral pyre. The priest removes the cloths and places the body on pyre to light the fire. It takes about 6 hours for the body to burn. This priest, a special one dedicated just to this practice, stays with the body to keep the fire going. After the body is completely burn, the priest gathers the ashes and the family joins him to put the ashes in the river. A Hindu cannot return to the home of the dead for 13 days so if they live in the same house, they must stay in a building for that purpose in the temple area. The guide said there are 6-7 cremations here on any day. I thought this was an fascinating place but too many steps for my taste. Lots of monkeys though.

Some other information about the Hindu: white is the color for mourning. Widows are not allowed to remarry (widowers can) and must wear white (under and outer wear), with no jewelry for the rest of her life. Red is the color for the wedding since it symbolizes energy, the sun and attachment.

Next, we head to Bodnnath, a Buddhist Stupa (holy place). This one dates back to 500 BCE and contains relics of previous Buddhas. It is said that if you gaze on this Stupa once in your life, then the doors of hell will be closed to you when you die. Also, if you walk around and circle the Stupa once you will receive the 7 qualities of divine happiness: (1) fine form (2) noble birth (3) power & prosperity (4) great pleasure (5) virtue & understanding (6) extreme long life (7) and freedom from disease. Of course we did the gaze and did the walk so we'll see what changes happen after we get home! There are prayer wheels all around the Stupa which when turned carry your prayers to heaven.

For lunch I tried a popular local snack called a Momo, a dumpling made with water buffalo meat. Mark that one off as done and move on.

After lunch, we headed over to the ancient Buddhist city of Bhakdadur, which dates to 1280 CE. This was a very interesting place sitting just outside Kathmandu, still very much as it has always been, only partly due to restoration. This city was itself a Nepalese kingdom until the unification in 1769. There are several beautiful temples and presentation to gods which you'll see in the pictures. All the dark, black, wood is original.

After this we basically crashed and waited till the next day of adventure.


Additional photos below
Photos: 44, Displayed: 25


Advertisement

after landing we got a certificateafter landing we got a certificate
after landing we got a certificate

it read "I did not climb Mt. Everest.....but touched it with my heart"
getting a bindi tattoogetting a bindi tattoo
getting a bindi tattoo

using various colors, women use stamps to decorate themselves
funeral pyrefuneral pyre
funeral pyre

yes, it's a body burning
Holy MenHoly Men
Holy Men

they blessed us with long good life


Tot: 0.318s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 52; dbt: 0.055s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb