Blog Entry 6 - Time To Catch You Up


Advertisement
Nepal's flag
Asia » Nepal » Himalayas
October 15th 2014
Published: October 15th 2014
Edit Blog Post

If you have not read Blog Entry 5, but have heard about the accident/avalanche in Nepal (apparently 50-60 people may be dead) we want to assure everyone that we are all fine. The accident was not near us.

That being said, let's try to catch everyone up.

Needless to say Internet access has been sketchy and band width is a problem (so don't expect a lot of photos).

Three days ago we met Adam and Susie, two Australians who joined our team. Adam is an industrial electrician and Susie is a nurse-midwife and they were married just over a week ago (insert your own "they said it wouldn't last" joke). Adam and Susie are fantastic and we are glad to have them along. For the record, even though the rooms at the tea houses have two twin beds, they have been sharing one bed ... for the "warmth."

On Sunday we flew from Kathmandu to Lukla to begin our trek. I urge you to go to YouTube and search for Lukla airport landings ... it is not to be believed. We basically landed on the ledge of a cliff and then had to stop the plane before it crashed into a wall with a big sign saying "Welcome to Lukla.

We then hiked half a day to our first stop.

On Monday we hiked in the rain to Namche Bazzar, the largest town in the Everest Region. We only have 15 kilos (33 pounds) of gear and it was a bit scary knowing that on the second day of the trek a big chunk of the gear was soaked.

On Tuesday we had an acclimatization day. We hiked around Namche Bazzar in the rain, and over Tuesday night it just poured. Frankly, we were all dreading a trek through the rain to our third stop (a small town named Porche). But amazingly, we woke up to clear skies ... much to everyone's relief.

On Wednesday we continued to gain altitude and we got our first glimpse of Mount Everest. Its one thing to talk about it and see photos ... but seeing it ... very cool.

We wanted to get Blog 5 to let everyone know we are ok. We also wanted to get Blog 6 out to bring everyone up to date. We are sorry there are no photos ... trust us they are spectacular. It is unlikely that there will be a blog on Thursday, but we have been told we may have Internet access on Friday ... but as always blog entries are subject to Internet access and bandwidth.

Advertisement



15th October 2014

Keep Trekking
Jeff, thanks for updating us - it was worrisome. I hope the rest of your trip is safe and sound and amazing. Back here in the States, all we have is a silly little election coming up, ebola sweeping the country, the stock market nose-diving this morning, the U.S. Supreme Court stopping Voter ID in Wisconsin, and Sylvie's cross country team winning 2 of their first 3 meets. So keep on blogging, I'll keep on reading. And I'm heartened to know there is an airport even scarier than Aspen. Matt
16th October 2014

What's going on, my message disappears when I try to sent. Maybe this time. Watched 90 min of plane landings at Lukla. You guys must have some wires crossed!
16th October 2014

Living vicariously
I know I've said it before, but thanks for bringing these visions of the far-flung world back to those of us sitting state-side. It really is a thrill to live vicariously through your descriptions of your adventures. Your description of that first glimpse of Everest gave me a little chill, just imagining you guys being there. Keep it coming! Subject, of course, to lack of internet access and bandwidth. And yetis. And angry llamas. And anything else you'd like to disclaim...
16th October 2014

Todays NewspaperReports Another Avalanche
I wish you guys would go back to that nice hotel in the city. Put on fluffy robes and after a few days of rest come home safely!
17th October 2014

Loving the blog
Finally connected into this blog thanks to Adam Griffin..pleased everyone on the treck is safe'n'sound. Yes Adam & Suzie are pretty special...he will kill me for saying that. Their wedding was SO NICE..... What a journey you are all partaking in...Good Luck to all. Keep those photos coming & the blog is very enjoyable...love it. Take care and keep safe...:)

Tot: 0.221s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 6; qc: 43; dbt: 0.1307s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb