Annapurna Base Camp to Chitwan National Park


Advertisement
Nepal's flag
Asia » Nepal » Chitwan
May 1st 2013
Published: May 17th 2013
Edit Blog Post

SnowmanSnowmanSnowman

Machhapuchhure base camp
Headed gingerly back down the valley from the snowbound Macchapuchhere base camp, sliding down steep banks where thesnow had compacted into ice from other hikers (even the porters fell over a few times !). Fell over fairly spectacularly myself, luckily managing to break the fall by a combination of my rucksack and watch... Further down the mountain reached the Jhinu hot springs near Tikhedhunga, having an afternoon off hiking to soak and steam in the bath temperature mineral water, occasionally interrupted by freezing dips in the adjacent glacial stream. Later watched some Nepalese style music and dancing, briefly joining in at the raucous and sociable teahouse, with a mix of local villagers, guides, porters and trekkers from all over the world. A couple more days of hillly walking brought us back to Pokhara, passing an impressive selection of domestic animals and the occasional monkey (see photos) en route.

After a bout of manflu for a couple of days, caught the bus south to Chitwan National Park to explore the Nepalese jungle. A very wobbly canoe ride took us downriver for the start of a jungle walk, passing lots of birds, pink water-lilies (seen as a weed in Chitwan) and more monkeys before disembarking for the pre-hike safety briefing on what to do when either a rhino charges, or a sloth bear or tiger attacks ! (Respectively run diagonally or climb a big tree; make a big noise and cluster together; stare the tiger down...). Saw a couple of crocodiles, glimpsed a wild boar and spotted a jungle chicken, but no tigers or bears (mixed feelings on that one !).

In the afternoon took an open-top jeep safari seeing colourful peacocks, the strange wraith-like paradise flycatcher bird and finally getting very close to a big grass-munching rhino. Next day joined a dawn elephant ride, four of us and the mahout crowded on its back, as we ambled through the trees spotting another rhino in a mud-pool and lots of deer ignoring the tourists. Later joined in with the daily elephant-washing, getting squirted with water from the friendly elephant while sitting on its back in the river.

Leaving Chitwan headed back to Kathmandhu for flight back to Malaysia, watching locals precariously perched on the truck roofs along the twisty mountain passes...


Additional photos below
Photos: 33, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Buddha on mountain ?Buddha on mountain ?
Buddha on mountain ?

Can't see it myself...
Sheep on pathSheep on path
Sheep on path

Lots more...
Phewa LakePhewa Lake
Phewa Lake

Pokhara
More MonkeysMore Monkeys
More Monkeys

Chitwan National Park


22nd May 2013
Baby snow leopard

Close but no cigar
It\'s an adult snow leopard *far away*

Tot: 0.105s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0519s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb