Chitwan (1)


Advertisement
Nepal's flag
Asia » Nepal » Chitwan
December 29th 2009
Published: December 30th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Finally...we arrive at Chitwan with much anticipation...so looking forward to elephant safaris, rhinocerous etc in the wild...a real nature hit after so much civilisation, cities, villages and people.. And it lived up to all hopes and expectations (tghough we are told there are other nature reserves in Nepal with more animals). Stayed at Chitwan Adventure Lodge on a sfari package and the 2 day stay was packed with adventure and events. While some of the baackpacker Guide Books say it is getting a bit too topuristy, we let ourselves go with the flow enjoy the touristy bits and had a wonderful time.

Again, we lucked in...The Annual International Elephant Races were on over the 3 day period 26th - 28th Decembera at Sauhara just down the dirtroad through the villages about 1km away from the lodge. So, as soon as we arrived, we walked down to these and spent a wonderful afternoon watching the races (unfortunately too late for the elephant races, but saw the bullock team races, and all of the opening concert with the Nepalese popstar singing from her latest album (the young bikie lads were right into it), traditional music and singing and dancing, and a comedian imitating animal calls. It was fantastic. There wereall sorts of stalls...including one that was promoting the Elephant Dung Project which makes paper from Elephant dung...which of course we supported, buying some postcards.

This was just the greatest start to our stay here,,,we stayed till dusk..again there was probably only three or four other people who looked like tourists at the event (which may have been something to do with the timing..(it was Boxing Day) as a lot more appeared at the elephant safari rides the following day.


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

Goats feedingGoats feeding
Goats feeding

Everywhere they hang the green branches from a pice of string on a pole (to mimic the tree?)
Truck messagesTruck messages
Truck messages

All the trucks have messages on them - just loved this one!
Discounts for rooftop seats?Discounts for rooftop seats?
Discounts for rooftop seats?

Room for at least 10 more on top and
Countryside Countryside
Countryside

Beaiutiful mustard fields again
Lady carrying branchesLady carrying branches
Lady carrying branches

Fodder for goats


Tot: 0.211s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 60; dbt: 0.1201s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb