Chitwin National Park


Advertisement
Nepal's flag
Asia » Nepal » Chitwan
May 8th 2007
Published: March 22nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


8th May and Cathy and I were up at 5.30am to say our goodbyes to everyone then we were off for a very long boring 6hr bus trip to Chitwin National Park. We were signed up with the Rainbow Safari Lodge situated just outside of the park. In the evening we were taken on a tour of the village and learnt how these people must live with dangerous animals and malaria mozzies. These houses were made from cow dung and elephant grass. Visited the elephant camp and went on a quick bush walk around the town coming out at the rivers edge to drink cold coke watching the sunset.
Another early start the next day for an 1hr caone ride up the river, unfortunetly not finding any crocs. Next was a 2hr jungle walk which was scary knowing that we were quite likely to come across rhinos, bears and tigers. Saw lots of signs of boars and tigers and loads of lungar monkeys, giant spiders and deer. Back to the river for lunch and Cathy and I jumped at the chance to go swim and wash the elephants. Spent about 20minutes with them trying to dunk us under the water and us scrabing their backs. I even learnt how to climb on top of an elephant by being lifted up by its trunk. They even sung for us which was incredible. After lunch was the elephant ride which was awsome. We managed to crash our way through the forest on the back of the elephant and came across a lot more wildlife like a few rhino and deer. In the evening the locals put on a cultural dance for us which was great fun.
No bird watching in the morning dew to thunderstorms so we headed up to Sonulai to catch the busdown to the Indian border. Was chaos once we got onto the Indian side with some guy trying to scam us for money for the bus etc. Had a terrible 4hr drive going through tiny narrow streets backed fill of villagers and cars. Really dont think the driver knew where he was going. Only just narrowly fitted through some parts and the road was so bumpy, Cathy and I on the back seats got flown off a few times to the amusment of the locals on board the bus. By night fall we somehow came across the train station where we waited for several hours for our train. A lot of stearing was going on in our direction.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



Tot: 0.145s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0415s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb