Jungle Safari


Advertisement
Nepal's flag
Asia » Nepal » Chitwan
March 13th 2007
Published: March 13th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Chitwan National Park...

Ok so its a very delayed entry and it seems like a lifetime has passed by, but there are just some things that will not be forgotten. A big thumbs up to this short experience and well recommended if you have the extra cash! Our trip wouldn’t have been the same if not for Shuman our guide and bit of savior in regards of seeing the best this place has to offer in 4 days. It all started once off the bus and rode to nearby Sauraha in the open jeep back with the wind in our hair. The countryside is brightly tropical and as spring was approaching, the wild flowers and wild bung grew along side the dirt track. Found a great room at the Rainforest resort just a 7 minute stroll to the river. Of course we felt obliged to visit the local watering holes so over happy hour - they give you free popcorn! - we chillaxed with an Everest beer and took in the first real warmth we have felt since leaving OZ. Excitement exploded in the air and every person by the shore started screaming and pointing at this gigantic Rhinoceros running through the shallow river into the vegetation on the other bank. Apparently this happens on few occasions so we count ourselves pretty lucky, what a rush- we got some pics and then had a few more beers to celebrate with some quickly made friends.

Day two, after a rushed morning from a rather late night celebrating and jamming with Shuman, we headed of on a full day of trekking through the jungle with our extra guide, packed lunch and big bamboo sticks (our life line against tigers). Ok so we saw a lot and I try to remember most. Fauna wise we were once again blessed and witness another 2 Rhino's while all standing up a rather high tree staring into the elephant grass. It was glimmer of a mother and baby grazing. They heard us and were quickly on their way. We found a canopy with Langur activity so we sat on the muddy ground and spent about 30 minutes watching these long tailed white-furred monkeys playing around and being very vocal. This was before our packed lunch by the river where we saw 3 elephants take a bath while crossing the river-soooo cute! One adult, a teen, and a little baby :-) Migrating ducks were hard to miss as the flocks were massive and calls very loud. Shuman said they were Romeo and Juliet ducks (he didn’t know the real name) and reported that they marry for life and if one dies, the other will stop eating eventually ending their own life. A lot of locals randomly crossed this river dragging their nets for fish (the other end just weighted with a full water bottle) and others kind of pushed along in the wooden boats made from Silk cotton trees. Sam and Shuman jumped in for a swim after lunch, apparently the crocs stick to the backwaters… still alive, anyway! Ahh yes, the Marsh muggers! Well these prehistoric giant crocs frequented along the banks of the smaller estuaries within the jungle and sun baked mainly. They are equally as big and sometimes fatter than the salty's you see in the Kimberley region in Oz. Got some glimpses of Peacocks and heard a bunch more with their obvious calls. The flora was so dense and it really felt like a jungle safari when we were all crouched down in single file the whole time, bending the path ahead. There were some spotted deer and more of the Macaques you can see at every temple it seems. Made it back in one piece and celebrated once again.

Got news we could stay a night in an observation tower in the local jungle so after another wild 4WD tour through the local villages we arrived by a drizzling afternoon. Got settled in and spent the latter part of the day watching out for the wild life while enjoying a few drinks of the local rice wine. It tastes like pure alcohol if you ask me and is drinkable with coke- a definite belly warmer! Only sighted another peacock and a deer. Got word that the night before some travelers purchased a goat and tied it with rope to the tree in front view of our verandas. Sometime by late afternoon its crazed and skittish behaviour attracted a tiger and I’m sure you can guess the outcome. They got some fantastic photographs said the other guides but eewwhhh; the sound of the episode would have been too intense. The Bengal tiger didn’t come back our night for seconds.

Shortly after sunrise we hopped back in the jeep for a ride through the local communities back to the bus stop - Chitwan was a great place to spend a few days! Off to Kathmandu to see what we will see :-) Take care!!


(p.s. - currently in Cambodia and the net cafe we've hunted down with a decent connection refuses to read our cds with photos on them... so be patient, they'll probably show up soon :-) )

Advertisement



Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0434s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb