Annapurna Base Camp


Advertisement
Nepal's flag
Asia » Nepal » Annapurna
November 16th 2006
Published: November 16th 2006
Edit Blog Post

The beautifully situated village of ChhomrongThe beautifully situated village of ChhomrongThe beautifully situated village of Chhomrong

Home for 3rd and 6th nights. Awesome views of Annapurna South, Huinchuli, and Machhapuchhre.
Just a few pictures from a recent trek to Annapurna Base Camp a couple of weeks ago. To start it was necessary to hire a guide or a porter due to new regulations since my last trek - no more independent trekking. At first I was not too thrilled because of my 2 treks last spring the one to Everest Base Camp that I did on my own proved to be much more enjoyable than the Annapurna Circuit with a guide. I trekked with a porter, Raju, which proved to be a smart move since I had a nasty cold the extire trek. The trek was good but EBC is still the gem of the entire 9 months so far.

We really lucked out with the weather which was slightly abnormal for this time of year. Post monsoon (i.e., summer) is typically the best time to trek but the monsoon was late this year. It was a little rainy close to base camp and very cloudy in the mountains by late morning every day. The day we made it to base camp was under minor blizzard conditions but it rapidly cleared up by sunset and was brilliant under a nearly full moon. Lazed around the next morning a little longer than planned but it was just to beautiful to leave. Some of the days were very long - the route we did in 7 days takes most people 10.

One of the interesting contrasts with the treks last spring was the relative stability in Nepal since the king was reduced to a figurehead shortly after I left in April. The Maoists have agreed to join the government and now they are manning abandoned former government checkposts at the trailheads collecting a "tourist tax" justified by becoming a self-proclaimed autonomous area. Last spring they were not so visible, I did not encounter them, and did not have to pony up any extra cash for the trek. This time it amounted to ~$4, probably going straight into their cigarette fund.

Sad to leave Nepal as it has been one of my favorite countries. Onto Bangkok tomorrow but only briefly before heading to Cambodia, Vietnam, and Laos.

See yas soon!

Jon


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Annapurna Base Camp, a.k.a. ABCAnnapurna Base Camp, a.k.a. ABC
Annapurna Base Camp, a.k.a. ABC

~4130 meters ASL. Lodges in the bottom right
Raju and I at ABCRaju and I at ABC
Raju and I at ABC

Annapurna in the background


Tot: 0.039s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0191s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb