Darjeeling & The Beginning of the Annapurna Circuit


Advertisement
Nepal's flag
Asia » Nepal » Annapurna » Annapurna Circuit
December 21st 2009
Published: December 23rd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Hi Everyone. Long time no update!

The last time we posted an update we had just finished in Bangladesh and were heading back into India.

To keep it brief, we visited the Gorkhaland territory of Darjeeling overlooking the Himalayas. This place is famous for tea and our first mission was to see some tea estates and have a look around a factory. The place we chose - Happy Tea Valley - was the exclusive supplier for Harrods tea (we hit the jack pot) and we had a nice tour and explanation on how everything was done. After this we spent a fortune on different variations on tea to send back home. Job done!

After this we visited the Darjeeling Himalayan zoo complex which had some awesome snow leopards and bears and birds etc and then headed out on a pilgrimage to find Vanessa’s Dad’s (James’) old school. Mr. Cullington went to boarding school out here when he was knee high to a grass hopper and so St Joseph’s North Point School was top on our agenda. After finding the place, the staff were very helpful and we found books and registers with information on his attendance etc which was great! The school was beautiful and had an amazing view of the mountains and Darjeeling.

The weather in Darjeeling was freezing but probably good training for our next destination and the food we had was great - If you haven’t had Thenthuk soup (preferably mixed) then try it. Guaranteed to change your life. The people were much more laid back than the rest of India and there was less pollution. In a nutshell, Darjeeling is great.

After spending around 4 days in Darjeeling and rumors of a possible strike which meant no public transport etc, we decided to evacuate and head to the Nepali border for a sprint to Kathmandu (17 hour bus journey - It broke down for 4 hours).

As the trekking seasons for the bigger treks, namely Everest Base Camp and the Annapurna Circuit, were drawing to a close (In December/winter the snow comes in and makes the high bits difficult to pass) we wasted no time in organizing a trek. After seeking some advice from a free safe trekking organization we made the unfortunate decision of paying for a porter/guide (a local Nepali who can carry a bag and be a guide) - The word unfortunate will be explained later. So with everything set, down jackets and hats a gloves purchased, we set out on the Annapurna Circuit.

....See Part Two for our Annapurna Circuit Diary!


Additional photos below
Photos: 31, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.105s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0766s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb