Irkutsk to Ulaan Baatar, Mongolia


Advertisement
Mongolia's flag
Asia » Mongolia » Ulaanbaatar
April 11th 2009
Published: April 11th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Righto, jumped on the fairly packed train in Irkutsk at 21:50 Wednesday night, but by the time I woke the next morning there was me and only 2 others on the entire wagon. All the Russians jumped off at Ulan Ude which I think is the last main stop before you hit Mongolia. Thursday will not go down in the books as a day to remember.....5 hours at the Russian border control, 1 hour crossing the actual border then 2 hours at the Mongolian border control......Travelled about 1 mile in 8 hours, which is now included in the "Shane's book o' stuff" as the new definition of boredom.

Rolled into the capital of Mongolia (Ulaan Baatar) at 6:10 the next morning.

Think I may have made a bit of a mistake in that I'm only staying here for 2 nights...to really see the place you have to get out into the desert for a few days......but was to eager to get into China I suppose.

Funny looking place this, fairly eastern with splashes of Russian 'block' architecture is probably the best way to describe it. Weather has been a treat too.....no jumper for the first time this trip.

Staying in a good hostel called the UB guesthouse.....another good bunch of people here, I think there's 7 of us jumping on the same train to Beijing tomorrow morning, and probably all heading to the same hostel.

The first part of this trip through the nordics and baltics turned me off hostels for a while as most of the people there were on weekend holidays in there own groups (annoying feckers), but in the last couple of weeks I've started meeting up with similar travellers doing this thing for 3, 6, 12 months....or until the money runs out. Good people.

Ok, better load some photos.....enjoy.

Next stop Beijing.


Cheers m'dears,
Shane,
Space Adventurer.







Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement



11th April 2009

Boro currently 2-1 up........
over Hull Mongolian kids looks funny Glad you found some cool hostels/travellers China should be an interesting trek!
12th April 2009

SMILE
Good day Blue, Nice photos mate, but you really must learn to smile a bit. Every photo has the same miserable Shane in it. Try a smile or even a scowl!!
13th April 2009

Comment
Hay Shane - just thought I'd say g'day and let you know I have been reading your blogs - it just took me a while to find out how to post a comment on this site - modern technology - how will the old survive Glen

Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0449s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb