Eek!!


Advertisement
Mongolia's flag
Asia » Mongolia » Ulaanbaatar
April 8th 2008
Published: April 8th 2008
Edit Blog Post

So much has happened and it's only been 2 hours!! Two women from CHRD (Center for Human Rights Development) came to pick me up from the guesthouse and took me to my apartment. I think it is rather nice and modest, though some things are a bit shabby. It has wood laminate throughout and is quite spacious considering its only going to be me here. Ah, AND it has the same type of shower that the guest house had! that was a very exciting discovery. And it has a washer and dryer which was more than i was expecting. So first the better english speaking woman escorted me to the bank where I can use the ATM. an interesting note... the ATM only lets you make withdraws in local currency so I'll be kissing US money goodbye on this trip. I am a little concerned that I am having a hard time keeping track of what i am spending. Must get online and look at bank balance ASAP. i withdrew $300 for one month in my apartment and then we went to the grocery market. i could have stayed at the market ALL day. It was the most fascinating place I think I might have ever been to. The style of shopping is completely different. There are women standing up behind large displays of various food and at each display you select your food and then pay the woman who bags it for you. I am a bit worried that this is going to be monumentally difficult because even though the CHRD women assured me this was the “place where the foreigners go” only one of the vendors was able to give me an english $ amount. So that will be another obstacle to overcome. But at the market there are many familiar products, coca-cola, ritz crackers, etc. all written in Mongolian. Very interesting. The meat section was short of terrifying. I've never been so distinctly aware of raw meat's “smell.” Not rancid or rotten, just of raw flesh. And there were huge hocks and joints of it every where. Even large pig and goat heads which I found interesting. they also had traditional dried Mongolian meat and dried cheese borts which are often found in the countryside. I felt pressure to hurry since I had two women and their driver waiting on me so I bought salami, rice, rice noodles, pasta, spaghetti sauce, soft cheese, and lettuce. Oh yes and I bought some Coca-cola out of sheer nostalgia. Next time I go shopping I will attempt to branch out my selection and maybe try some new things but I at least have enough food to ward off starvation.

Our driver, Gala, gave me his number so that if I wish to coordinate trips on the weekends, he can help me find drivers, etc to help me do that. So a very useful contact to have methinks.

The one complaint i have is that my apartment does not have internet and that it is soooo friggin' HOT in here! I can't find the thermostat and maybe that's a good thing because I wouldn't know what to do with it even if I found it. So I've cracked one window but in the interest of security, the windows have an inner and outer set and the outer set only has a small opening to let air in. Drats! One of the women asked me if i was cold in Mongolia and I was tempted to tell her that going outside thus far has been a blessing! The buildings are far too warm for my blood :-) Better than freezing i suppose but I am very glad I brought some short sleeve shirts and cooler clothing to try and ward off heat stroke while I am here.

i will start at the office tomorrow and they will pick me up to make sure that I know where it is located before I start walking to it. It seems that everything starts at 10am, even offices so it is nice to have a later starting position. Gives me time to adjust my sleep pattern and avoid being a morning zombie. I also have a telephone which makes me feel less alone and I'm hoping maybe a friend or my brother will buy a phone card and call me here once. I do feel a little lonely today but it is to be expected after being in a roommate/companion situation for many years. There is a TV here so i am interested to see what the television is like in UB.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0512s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb