Political Pandemonium!


Advertisement
Mongolia's flag
Asia » Mongolia » Ulaanbaatar
January 17th 2006
Published: December 2nd 2006
Edit Blog Post

We're not sure if you've heard, but about 10 days ago, Mongolia dramatically crumbled into political uncertainty with the mass resignation of a bunch/clutch/flock/herd/murder (you choose) of politicians from the majority "communist" party. This has left us with daily subzero demonstrations in the main square and no discernable government. Corruption is the catchcry of protesters and politicians alike, with accusations flying (mostly true, from what we hear).


There's no need to be concerned...the dramatic scenes on telly showing what seems to be gas or smoke engulfing the demonstrators is just the combined frozen breath of the unhappy masses. We're fine, and just a little excited to be living in a lawless state.


We battled through the worst weather we've seen ever, anywhere (maybe a line-call with our attempted climb of Ben More in Scotland) on Saturday, only to end up in a feral hotel playing endless games of Uno and wearing a combined total of over 40 items of clothing while huddled under blankets. It was just too painful and awful to venture outside.


Happily, Sunday predictably brought back the blue skies that Mongolia is famous for, allowing us to explore a snowbound ruin (Thanks, Stalin!) of a monastery and hike the 5kms back to the town for our sardine-style return to UB.


Hope you're well and politically stable.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

In happier timesIn happier times
In happier times

Mongolia Independence Day


Tot: 0.051s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 13; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0187s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb