Camping Monglian style


Advertisement
Mongolia's flag
Asia » Mongolia » Gobi Desert
July 30th 2008
Published: July 30th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Me again,
Michelle and i have both been a bit lazy since our return from camping for 12 days around Mongolia.
Easy to let it lapse when you don't have an internet connection ( or phone reception etc)
We did a south west loop around central Mongolia, the exact loop can be found at http://www.imaginative-traveller.com/trips/ATMV

It was a small group, 8 people in Russian vehicles getting bogged, breaking down and having a great time around Mongolia. I think we were both ready to have something organised for us with so much being independent prior to that. It was a great group too, all quiet young and all got along well.

We started by going south to Baga Gazin Churu, a mountain stop with the first encounter of the tents. Better than we expected and fairly easy get up with 4 a tent working on it. Next we headed to Ongi River, with a Ger camp stay and a grumpy camel for company. This thing was spitting and growling when we first arrived but soon calmed down and was charmed by Caroline, a Canadian in our group. We were relaxing playing cards with the river in sight when it made its first move on her. Every time she ran, or screamed, this camel get more intent on chasing her, fun for the rest of us!
Some of the girls made the most of the river with a swim, but i liked our shower, the dribble of cold water was all i needed.

OVORKHANGAI AIMAG next, a two day stop with terrible consequences for me. A lovely place, with waterfalls, Yak and Ger camps near us. We were back in the tents, with me on loo digging duty for the group. Nice river stop though with some of us taking a half day walk with some river crossings and lovely scenic views of the cliffs. Then at Nadines; suggestion most of us went off horse riding. ON MONGOLIAN SADDLES. I stress that bit as they are not nice saddles. basically wood with sharp front and back panels that killed me as i rode. Most of us came back bruised, i came back after an hour on the horse with friction burns to my buttocks. (guess the inexperienced rider!)
But is was worth it, as Mary our Scottish member attested, even after her horse reared up on her (she is a novice too)

TSETSERLEG was next after a bumpy ride. Amazing temple in the heart of Mongolia, and at our Ger camp we got to see a local musician who played horse head fiddle, harp and was a throat singer. That was the highlight of the day for me and michelle too. He played for about an hour while the sunset and we relaxed after a nice dumpling dinner. We also managed to get really pissed (all of us) in a local nightclub and show up all the locals with our dance moves!!

White Lake. This was a lovely place where we got to relax for the most part. Lots of people walked, swam in the lake, met local Ger families etc. Me - i got sick. Lost it all for about 24 hours, with no fluid staying in me anyways at all. Not a highlight of the trip for sure.
Despit that it was a lovely place and it was great to have a herd of maybe 150 Yak graze between our tents on both days we were there.

KARAKORUM, heart of Ghengis Khans land. Erdene Zuu was great and lots to see from this magnifient place. So hard to tell you all what we saw and did all the time, but this was great.

KHOGNO KHAN, a secluded mountainous spot where the grasslands ended with the Gobi. Michelle and i opted for a Ger instead of camping me still no eating (which is always bad) so this was nice to relax and take a stroll to a small temple and read books. There was one mink giving blessings and very few people around. Nice to watch eagles fly and contemplate all we had seen and done before our soon return to UB.

After the return we met that night in a bar to say goodbye, exchange details and celebrate with a drink or two. So this blog ends with thanks to Danni, Yvonne, Nadine, Yeow, Mary, Caroline and our guide and drivers.





Advertisement



31st July 2008

I want to see some pics of you all pissed and impressing everyone with your dance moves! xxx

Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0443s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb