A piece of paradise on earth?-2 days in Maldives


Advertisement
Maldives' flag
Asia » Maldives » Male Atoll
November 24th 2012
Published: November 24th 2012
Edit Blog Post

It was a dream to go on a vacation to Maldives someday. We (Mr. hubby and myself) didn't know this opportunity would come so suddenly and we would be off to this vacation after such little planning. Maldives being an awfully expensive tourist destination and combined with the fact that we have both spent our allocated days of annual leave this year, the 3 day holiday seemed like the best time to go on this dream vacation. 2 days means a lot less budget required and also means no need to tale leave from work. We are very much looking forward to 2 days of absolute bliss (in shaa Allah). join us on our dream voyage- hope you would want to visit this beauty too ........



DAY 1:



I had seen photographs- of private wooden jetties leading to a beautiful resort, turquoise water all around, white sandy beaches, couples snuggling and dining on exotic open air candle lit settings in the evening- I had seen lots of them. I had always also dreamed of going on a blissful retreat to this place and I am absolutely thankful to almighty for giving me this opportunity so suddenly.

Mr. hubby and myself are pro at sleeping on plane. We can fall asleep the moment we board the plane and that’s exactly what we did on our red eye flight. This ensured that we were fresh and awake when we landed in Nasir Ibrahim Airport at 15:25 pm. A small airport with very few passengers means that we were out within 15 minutes and greeted by Kurumba Resort representative. We were take to our island resort- mere 10 minutes journey via luxury air conditioned boat. We were given cold towel wipes and a bottle of cold water for this very short journey. The moment the boat stopped at the jetty of Kurumba island- I immediately felt like “yes- this is the same jetty I have always seen pictures of”. They are probably all similar- a long wooden elevated jetty on very blue water leading to a tree surrounded small resort. It was beautiful.

Maldivian resorts do know how to pamper their guests. We were taken to the reception room-the Hibiscus Hall- and again provided with flavored wipes and guess what..resorts special coconut ice cream. The resort entrance is beautiful- spacious open setting arrangement with very well manicures lawn and trees all around and decorated with artificial water decoration all around. They also throw a couple of hibiscus into these water pool and all staff wear white cotton uniform which gives the resort a very much spa like look.

After registration, we were taken to our bungalow in a golf cart by one of the very humble (all of them are humble) staff. He turned out to be a Bangladeshi and so was extra nice to us. The bungalow was equipped with all amenities – starting from mini bar to open shower (that’s island style right?) to beach veranda and what not. The beach was 10 steps away from the veranda and if we just pulled the curtain back, we could lie on our bed and see the sea in the distance. It was beautiful. The bathroom was magnificent. It was open, spacious, had 2 wash basins, a bathtub, a shower closet and guess what- an open shower too- with nice plants decorating the floor of the open shower. This was something I had never tried before. The first shower under open sky was awkward but a truly enjoyable experience.

Though it was close to sunset time, we couldn’t help but went straight to take a dip into the calm sea. The temperature of the water was perfect. The water was clear blue with very white sand beneath and it was a good swim. There were 3 small alter kind of places- built on narrow piers where I guess couples take wedding vows. Most couples were at least taking pictures there with the back drop of quiet sunset if not retaking vows.

The evening in Kurumba resort is thriving. There are 5 restaurants- the main restaurant serving buffet 3 times a day, Italian, Indian, Lebanese, Ocean Grill and beach bar. The beach bar is by far the most popular spot where band play live music every evening. The Ocean Glill café is right next to the beach bar and has canopied special beach tables. We chose this very place as the canopied cables are by far the most romantic dinner setting I have experienced so far and the live music is also audible from there if not visible. But the funny thing is that as we started our romantic dinner in style, it started to shower without any warning- and we had to run back inside the restaurant carrying our food. This episode was totally hilarious.

We took an early night as we were pretty tired after the long night and day. But we were extremely happy for being in an environment that offered pure bliss and a hell lot of pampering.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.049s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 46; dbt: 0.029s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb