Maldives: Changes everywhere


Advertisement
Maldives' flag
Asia » Maldives » Male Atoll
January 20th 2008
Published: January 22nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

If there is one place I could travel over and over again to, then its the Maldives. Some people don't like the Islands much, but for me the combination of beach, reef, water, palms, sun and the friendly Maldivien people could get hardly any better.

One of the things I like most here is the calmness. The Islands really slow you down and coming from a rather hectic european work environment myself, i know for sure there could be nothing better.

We are here for work again and so I have to get up early and grumpy. Its part of any work environment. But not for long. As soon your feet walk on that white sand and the sea breeze touches my face the mood changes and I feel just fine.

This time around we had the chance to see Islands in the far north in addition and as part of our assignment. We hoped to capture some of the local lifestyle, as much of this is gone in the centre already.

Unfortunately the Atolls change fast with the arrival of the new resorts, but some of the villages are still fairly unspoiled. Its interesting to experience that the people on each of the Islands are slightly different in attitude, culture or sense of humour. Some are friendly, but very shy and to get them in front of the camera is close to impossible. On other Islands the people can't get enough pictures. This are places, which are hardly half an hour apart with the speed boat.

Somehow I wished people would not come here and no resorts would open, because it will change also the last remaining local culture. On the other side I have no illusions that photographers like me will do just that.

However, the locals like to improve their life by making more money like everyone else, but for one of the guys i met in a village, its not only money that is improving his lifestyle. He can now work in a resort close by and come back in the evenings to stay with his family. The last 14 years this was not possible as the resort he worked for was to far away from his home town.

My hope is that some of that local culture away from the masses will be preserved and only a few more resorts will be opened to keep the quality I like so much: A calm and relaxed people with its unique lifestyle.





Advertisement



Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.039s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb